Second man charged with Michael Ugwa killing to remain in custody
- Credit: Essex Police
The second man charged with the killing of Rainham father-of-three Michael Ugwa will remain in custody following a hearing today.
Michael, 29, was fatally assaulted at the Lakeside shopping centre in Thurrock on the afternoon of April 28.
Muhammad Khan, 54, of no fixed address, Ilford, was arrested on May 5 and subsequently charged with murder and affray.
No pleas were entered during a hearing at Basildon Crown Court today (May 10).
There is not yet a confirmed date for next appearance, though a provisional trial date of April 11, 2023 has been set.
Khan is the second person to be charged with murder, and the third charged overall.
Brandon Lutchmunsing, 19, of Dagenham, has been charged with murder and affray.
Shannon Weston, 20, of Canewdon in Essex, is charged with assisting an offender.
Both appeared before Basildon Crown Court on May 6, where each was remanded in custody until a plea hearing scheduled for July 1.
- 1 As many as 15 injured in Gidea Park bus crash
- 2 TfL confirms plan to 'strengthen' Gallows Corner flyover 'for many generations to come'
- 3 'When it’s hot, it’s a sauna’: Residents rally against scaffolding on Romford apartment building
- 4 Proposal to demolish Hornchurch bungalow to build four-bed house
- 5 Dispersal order enforced in Elm Park amid antisocial behaviour concerns
- 6 Hornchurch medical centre temporarily shut after legionella bacteria found
- 7 Proposal to build six flats on former Collier Row petrol station
- 8 'Impasse': Deadline looms over Havering parties struggling to agree to coalition after election
- 9 Queen’s Platinum Jubilee: Street parties and road closures in Havering
- 10 Teachers and other union members strike at Harold Hill school over restructure during cost-of-living crisis
A 54-year-old woman - arrested along with Khan on suspicion of assisting an offender - has been released under investigation.