Romford restaurateur named ‘local community hero’ at House of Lords
- Credit: Avocado Media
The owner of a chain of Indian restaurants and takeaways in Romford and Essex has been recognised for his charitable works and overcoming personal adversity.
Sharif Uddin, who runs Kushi, received a local community hero award during a House of Lords ceremony on September 7.
The 37-year-old's restaurants donated more than 15,000 meals to NHS frontline staff, keyworkers, the elderly and the vulnerable throughout lockdown.
Shortly after opening Kushi in Gidea Park, in 2016 Sharif spent three years in hospital and underwent 28 operations for complex ulcerative colitis issues.
Arranged by the Asian Catering Federation (ACF), the event was hosted by Lord Sheikh and also saw Kushi chefs, Kamrul Hoque and Humayun Rashid, presented with their Asian and Oriental Chef awards.
Sharif spoke of his accolade: “It’s important to help out the less fortunate – and we work closely with local schools, hosting many fundraising dinners for PTFAs, as I’m a fundamental believer in the power of education.”
You may also want to watch:
Presenting the Community Hero Award, ACF chairman Yawar Khan said Sharif's charity works stood out.
Sharif "thoroughly deserves this award for such perseverance, resilience, innovation and generosity in the face of such personal adversity,” said Yawar.
This comes after Kushi was named best Asian group restaurant at the Asian Restaurant Awards 2021.
- 1 Havering road and rail delays to look out for next week
- 2 Best places to have a curry in Havering as chosen by readers
- 3 Gallows Corner Tesco development proposal refused
- 4 Collier Row shooting: Police release CCTV in bid to trace man
- 5 Sixth form denies knowledge of alleged A Level 'no confidence vote'
- 6 'Heads should roll': Drug dealers left on Romford streets for eight months
- 7 Havering's Hospitality Heroes revealed: Which venues are crowned winners?
- 8 Sentencing of Harold Hill ATM robber is postponed
- 9 Daniel Laskos death: Court hearing for murder accused teens
- 10 Gidea Park school to celebrate 100th birthday