Things to do in east London this weekend (August 7-8)
- Credit: PA
With the summer holidays in full swing, there is plenty going on across east London to keep children (and grown-ups) entertained.
Here is a selection of activities to get stuck into this weekend (August 7- 8).
The Get Together
The Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park is hosting a ‘small, fun, family-friendly event’ on Sunday, August 8 from midday.
Activities include workshops with the Victoria and Albert Museum, 3D printing with University College London and even cape-making with London College of Fashion.
Although people are welcome to drop-in to this event, they will need to sign up for sessions on the day in order to participate.
The Timber Lodge, Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park, 1A Honour Lea Ave, London
- 1 Man and woman arrested following Hornchurch stabbing
- 2 Construction company asks to make changes to approved 40-flat development in Romford
- 3 Rainham road closed as tactic to stop flytipping
- 4 Plan for homes next to listed Hornchurch water tower rumoured to cover monks’ escape tunnel
- 5 Mum-of-two honoured by US president Joe Biden
- 6 Two Havering councillors to stand down at next election
- 7 Plan B measures to be scrapped across England
- 8 Homes under the Planner: Applications lodged or rejected in Havering
- 9 Tribute paid to father one year after death in council hostel
- 10 Fire crews free trapped driver after Hornchurch car crash
Make Your Own Sound Orchestra
This interactive in-person workshop invites children to play and tinker with everyday materials to create their own sound orchestra.
The workshops are for families in Newham, with children and young people aged eight to 12.
They are running at Institute of Imagination, Expressway on Saturday, August 7 at 12pm, 2pm and 3pm, and must be pre-booked online.
Expressway London, 1 Dock Road, E16 1AG
Summer Rooftop Wellness Series
For people looking to relax this weekend, why not try rooftop pilates?
Classes at The Stratford Hotel include panoramic views of the Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park and London's skyline.
Tickets start at £16.76 and equipment is provided.
The Stratford Hotel London, 20 International Way, London
Our Community Festival
This Redbridge festival promises stalls, games, rides, music and more.
Bouncy castles, petting zoo and rides will keep the kids busy, as well as stalls for adults to explore.
The event is from midday to 5pm on Sunday, August 8.
Barley Lane Recreation Ground, Barley Lane, Goodmayes
Remedy’s Summer BBQ
This festive barbeque describes itself as an evening “full of vibes, sweet Caribbean music, delicious food and beautiful people.”
There will be food to purchase, DJs and a photobooth, kicking off at 4pm on Sunday, August 8.
Pitch Stratford, 2 Bridge Road, London
This exhibition at the Museum of the Home is a purrfect way to spend the weekend with children.
It includes animations, projections, hands on activities and stories written by author and storyteller Bernadette Russell.
The exhibition is open every weekend during the summer holidays, from 10.30am to 4pm, and tickets must be booked in advance.
Museum of the Home, 136 Kingsland Road, London