Romford’s Jessie J gets applause from US popstars
A SINGER from Romford has been given glowing praise by two US pop icons and bagged a host of music industry credits – before her first single is even released.
Jessie Cornish, 22, who goes by the name Jessie J, was hailed the best singer in the world by Justin Timberlake when they met in Los Angeles recently and given the thumbs up by Kelly Rowland, who this week saw the talented Havering-born star perform in the USA.
Jessie J posted on Twitter: “Kelly Rowland was right next to the stage. Can’t breathe, what an amazing night!!:)”
After the show the ex-Destiny’s Child star posted: “Jessie J was fantastic tonight!! Congrats Mama, you smashed!”
And ahead of the gig she tweeted: “So EXCITED about seeing Jessie J!! What a great talent! Have a great show mama!”
You may also want to watch:
Speaking to The Observer newspaper about the praise from Timberlake, Jessie said: “It’s obviously a huge compliment, but I aspire to get to the same level as someone like that with my art, so it didn’t faze me.
“And in those situations I want to make it feel like they’re meeting me, as much as I’m meeting them. In a nice way.”
- 1 Public detain male in street after alleged bid to rob Rainham shop
- 2 Romford school prepped for another 100 years as major renovation works end
- 3 Trust celebrating Hornchurch history opens new permanent heritage centre
- 4 Hospital's failure to identify neck injury 'contributed' to courier's death, inquest finds
- 5 Woman dies after falling from 'substantial height' in Romford
- 6 Hospitality Hero: 'Biggest prize is appreciation,' says tearoom owner
- 7 Report found Town Hall response to alleged sexual harassment case 'disturbing'
- 8 Hornchurch man to face trial accused of teeth whitening offence
- 9 Demolition 'will now begin' to make way for 120 homes at former campus
- 10 Havering Hospitality Hero: Hornchurch's Tandoori Lounge racks up awards
But earning the respect of music celebrities is not the only strings to her bow.
The songwriter, who first recorded an 11-track demo at an Essex-based studio in 2003, which rocketed her into the final of a television talent show, has also penned tunes for the likes of Alicia Keyes, toured with Chris Brown and notably wrote Miley Cyrus’s number one Billboard smash Party In The USA!
And all this while setting the wheels in motion for her debut single – Do It Like A Dude – which is released on January 3.
The urban-pop debut has picked up airplay from the likes of Twin B, 1Xtra and Mista Jam, and Radio 1, with the remix from good pal, Labrinth, rocketing Jessie J to the top of the HypeMachine chart in under 24 hours.
The opening lyric “Stomp Stomp, I’ve arrived!” sums up the Island Records-signed artist’s swagger and attitude, which we can expect to see a lot more of in the coming year, along with her debut album.