New Romford horror film festival launching this June
- Credit: Horrhiffic/ Mercury Shopping Centre
A horror film festival is coming to Romford this June.
Breaking away from the annual Romford Film Festival for the first time, Premiere Cinemas in Romford will showcase over 60 scary movies on Saturday, June 5 and Sunday, June 6.
Festival director Spencer Hawken said he decided to host the Romford Horror Independent Film Festival (HorRHIFFic) due to the number of horror films submitted to the regular film festival.
He told this paper: “We get more horror films than any other genre.
“This way, horror fans can spend a whole weekend totally immersed in scary movies, and those that don’t want to watch them can enjoy the regular festival later in the summer.”
The Romford Film Festival will still take place from June 24 to June 28.
Spencer is manager of The Mercury Shopping Centre, where Premiere Cinemas is based.
- 1 Woman dies after car crash near Upminster
- 2 Romford’s M&S staff go viral with Thriller dance TikTok video
- 3 Brentwood attack: CCTV appeal after man repeatedly kicked in head
- 4 How Romford are you? Test yourself with our quiz
- 5 Disruptions to watch out for in and around Havering next week
- 6 Still no progress on plans for new health hub at St George's Hospital site
- 7 New social housing allocation system for Havering approved
- 8 Family 'sleeps with one ear open' after repeated flooding in heavy rain
- 9 Consultations open on rolling out school streets to 12 new sites
- 10 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
He added: “My dad would watch BBC Two horrors on Saturday nights, and I’d peer through the bannisters behind him, until one day he caught me and let me sit on the sofa with him.”
Festival highlights include Guns Akimbo, starring Harry Potter’s Daniel Radcliffe, and locally-made short film The House At The End, a black and white silent horror about a demonic residence.
Tickets are available at www.romfordfilmfestival.com.