Harrow Lodge Leisure Centre fully opens five months after completion
- Credit: Havering Council
A new Hornchurch leisure centre has opened the majority of its facilities for the first time, five months after being completed.
Works on Harrow Lodge Leisure Centre were finished last December, but Covid restrictions meant it was unable to open its doors to the public.
Since April 12, people have been using the pool and gym, but the rest of the multi-million pound leisure centre opened on May 18.
Havering cabinet member for culture and leisure, Viddy Persaud, said it was a "true honour" to open the centre this week.
Cllr Persaud said: “This past year has been a constant reminder of how important health and wellbeing is.
"As we move towards better days, this leisure centre provides the facilities residents need to live happy, healthy lives."
She added construction would begin on a new leisure centre in Rainham later this year.
- 1 Kem Cetinay: Love Island star offers ‘deepest condolences’ after fatal motorcycle collision
- 2 'Totally gutted’: Hornchurch nightclub owner vows to appeal after opening hours extension refused
- 3 Romford World Naked Bike Ride: How protest sits at the heart of the nude cycle
- 4 Motorcyclist dies after collision with car on Shepherds Hill
- 5 ‘It winds me up’: Cleanliness of Romford’s South Street slammed
- 6 Hornchurch police station: No movement on purchase plan as assurances sought about station's future
- 7 Romford flooring company proposes disused shop as site for new three-storey building with six homes
- 8 Wennington: Sale organised in Rainham with proceeds for residents affected by devastating fire
- 9 Hornchurch care home found to have 'made improvements' at CQC check-up
- 10 Man dies after suffering gunshot injuries in Harold Hill
Tom Fletcher, Everyone Active area contract manager, added: "We’re delighted to be finally able to open our flagship Harrow Lodge Leisure Centre.
"Although we’ve had to wait a little longer due to the pandemic, we’re confident that this will be a welcome addition to the town and that the local community will benefit greatly from all the fantastic facilities we have to offer."