'Huge boost' for mental health as group exercise classes reopen
- Credit: Everyone Active
Havering leisure centres have relaunched group exercise classes in line with the government’s roadmap.
The Everyone Active leisure centres run in partnership with Havering Council - Harrow Lodge Leisure Centre, Central Park Leisure Centre and Sapphire Ice - partially reopened on April 12, but exercise classes remained online.
Everyone Active area contract manager Tom Fletcher said he was “delighted” to be able to resume group sessions.
He said: “Aside from the obvious physical benefits, this will be a huge boost for mental health and wellbeing in Havering and comes at an apt time following the start of Mental Health Awareness Week.
“Many of our customers thrive on the social element of exercise, not just for motivational reasons but also because they enjoy seeing friendly faces in a familiar environment."
You may also want to watch:
Leader of Havering Council, Cllr Damian White, added: “As the government roadmap out of lockdown continues, it’s great to see that leisure centres can now reopen for group exercise.
“This past year has been a constant reminder of how important health and wellbeing is. These centres play an important role as Covid-secure spaces for people to get healthier by being physically and mentally active as we emerge from lockdown.”
- 1 From 100 steps to 10,000: Romford woman tackles serious health issues by losing third of body weight
- 2 Firefighters fight car alight in Romford
- 3 Ex-councillor under investigation over Green Belt building works
- 4 Thunderstorms, heavy rain forecast as Met Office issues yellow warnings
- 5 Tributes paid to well-loved Romford market fruit-seller
- 6 Delta variant accounts for majority of Covid cases in much of east London
- 7 Six green spaces to enjoy in Havering
- 8 Love Island star Kem Cetinay says Romford's Array to open 'in three weeks'
- 9 BID installs wall of evergreen plants to ‘welcome people’ to Romford
- 10 Campaigners launch petition to keep Emerson Park in Hornchurch constituency