Photos to 'shine light on hidden stories' revealed in art installation
- Credit: Hannah Davis
Photos of the Romford Market community have been revealed as part of an upcoming interactive public art exhibition.
Award-winning artist David Shearing and his collective Variable Matter will showcase their physical project called The Rising Sun from July 15.
A physical structure designed in the shape of a pub will sit in the centre of the square.
Thanks to a moving audio piece, visitors attending the 'pub' will be able to hear the voices of people David interviewed when he visited Romford Market.
The 38-year-old Romford-born artist, who now lives in Ilford, said: “The Rising Sun is a snapshot of everyday people, shining a light on hidden stories of the local community, not the stereotypes that are often portrayed in this unique and changing outer east London town.”
David hopes the art will encourage “debate about what’s possible in our town centres by building a sense of destination and pride”.
Matthew Russell, Queen’s Theatre’s executive director, previously said the exhibition will be a "highlight of this summer”.
- 1 'Totally gutted’: Hornchurch nightclub owner vows to appeal after opening hours extension refused
- 2 Kem Cetinay: Love Island star offers ‘deepest condolences’ after fatal motorcycle collision
- 3 Romford World Naked Bike Ride: How protest sits at the heart of the nude cycle
- 4 Motorcyclist dies after collision with car on Shepherds Hill
- 5 ‘It winds me up’: Cleanliness of Romford’s South Street slammed
- 6 Hornchurch police station: No movement on purchase plan as assurances sought about station's future
- 7 Romford flooring company proposes disused shop as site for new three-storey building with six homes
- 8 Solution to blaze hotspot in Rainham may take 'some time' to find, residents warned
- 9 Man dies after suffering gunshot injuries in Harold Hill
- 10 Upminster fire: 80 firefighters tackle grassland blaze as warm weather continues
The project will run from July 15 to July 30 from 8am to 8pm.
Entry will be free.