School Sport: Marshalls Park miss out in final of Essex Chairman’s under-13 trophy against William Edwards

PUBLISHED: 14:51 12 May 2016 | UPDATED: 14:52 12 May 2016

Action from Marshalls Park's Essex Cup final

Action from Marshalls Park's Essex Cup final


Essex Chairman’s under-13 Trophy: Marshalls Park 1 William Edwards 2

Marshalls Park suffered heartbreak in the final of the Essex Chairman’s under-13 trophy, losing 2-1 to William Edwards of Grays.

The match took place at Dagenham & Redbridge’s Victoria Road ground, and after a goalless first half, things kicked into life after the break.

Marshalls were under pressure for much of the opening five minutes, needing a goal line clearance to prevent William Edwards from taking the lead.

The Romford school were indebted to keeper William Fisher, brilliantly denying Iyola Adebayo from close range after the William Edwards attacker weaved into the box.

It seemed to spark Marshalls into life, who after that had more of an impact on proceedings, though their final ball let them down on occasion.

Both teams continued to create openings in the remainder of the half, but neither were able to find the crucial opening goal before the interval.

It was a match that continued to be end-to-end in the second too, with blustery conditions at Victoria Road lending themselves to a frantic fixture.

Having already made one goal line clearance in the first half, Marshalls had to do it again eight minutes after half time when a corner caused a few problems at the back.

Marshalls received another let off three minutes later when a cross into the box looped into the net, only for the referee to signal for offside.

At the other end, Alfie Fry slid the ball back across goal for Marshalls after a swift counter, but no team mate was on hand to turn the ball in.

It was William Edwards, though, who finally made the breakthrough in the 26th minute following a quick break down field, which ended in a three-on-one situation.

Five minutes later, Marshalls fell a further goal behind when a long-range free kick from Aron Henry floated all the way in to the back of the net.

Far from down, though, Marshalls pulled a goal back in the final minute through Alfie Parrish, but is sadly prove too little, too late.

Marshalls Park: Fisher, Glenister, Chester, Penn, Cutts, Daly, Parrish, Holmes, Fry, Jones, Greene Connell, Goodwin, Powell, Bevan

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Romford Recorder. Click the link in the orange box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Romford Recorder