Ice hockey: Cardiff Fire 6 Raiders 5

PUBLISHED: 08:51 02 December 2018 | UPDATED: 08:51 02 December 2018

Raiders forward Alan Lack (Pic: Nicola Day)

Raiders forward Alan Lack (Pic: Nicola Day)


Everyone Active Raiders returned home from Wales empty-handed after an 11-goal thriller in National League Division Two on Saturday.

Ben Pitchley’s young squad headed west on a three-game winning run and looked set for another victory as they led 3-0 in the middle session and then 5-3 in the third period.

But the hosts hit back in a dramatic finale to deny them any reward and ensure a miserable trip back to Romford.

The gloves came off in the opening period as Clint Walton tussled with Bryant, with Raiders ending up on a power play after a tripping call against Elliott Murdoch.

Tommy Huggett opened the scoring during the man advantage, before penalties against George Gell and Alan Lack were killed off, while Callum Burnett was binned for roughing after a clash with Elias.

Cardiff had a great chance to level when they were awarded a penalty shot but Jackson Price hit the crossbar.

And Raiders doubled their lead with another power play goal from Huggett after Joey Morris was binned for abuse of official.

Morris and former Raider Ross Wilkinson also fell foul of the referee and Ewan Hill put Raiders 3-0 up during the spell of 5-on-3, before Stephen Deacon – another ex-Raider – pulled a goal back for the home side.

Morris made it a one-goal game with a Cardiff power play goal early in the final period and Jordan Powell levelled it up at 3-3.

Raiders regained the lead, though, with around 10 minutes remaining through Kamil Kinkor and moved 5-3 ahead as Matt Brown netted to seemingly set up a fourth successive victory.

But Fire kept their hopes alive with a fourth goal and, after Lack was called for tripping, squared matters on the power play to set up a tense final six minutes.

A roughing call against Lack sent Cardiff back on the power play and they made it count as Powell completed his hat-trick with the winning goal.

Raiders will look to bounce back quickly when they host Basingstoke Buffalo at the Sapphire Ice & Leisure Centre tonight (Sunday, December 2) at 5.30pm in their last home game of 2018.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Romford Recorder

1959 A 16-year-old Hornchurch boy who tried - and failed - to rescue his father from drowning at Southend was praised at the inquest this week for his courage. David Benton, of Northumberland Avenue, Hornchurch and a friend. Arthur Frederick Suckling, 17, of Factory Road, Romford, who helped in the rescue attempt, were told by Mr A. J. Dalton, Southend deputy coroner: “Your efforts were very valiant.” A verdict of the accidental drowning was recorded in the death of Charles Edwin Joseph Benton, 46, who was employed at a photographic firm. He died near the wreck of Mulberry Harbour, off the beach at Thorpe Bay. Mr Benton, described by his wife as “a big healthy and active, keen on the water but not a strong swimmer,” was brought to shore by Donald Atkinson of Winchmore Hill. 1979 Police were hunting for a brave have-a-go hero who tackled armed bandits in a bid to stop a £25,000 robbery. The mystery man lashed out at a vicious shotgun gang when they swooped on security guards outside at Elm Park bank. Detectives praised his courage and appealed for him to come forward, The drama began when a Security Express van arrived outside the National Westminster Bank in Elm parade, St Nicholas Avenue at 10.20am to deliver cash. Two guards left the van to walk towards the bank and were pounced on by four men with sawn-off shotguns. One grabbed the cash bag and started to run off. But one of the guards jumped on his back, and threatened to shoot if he didn’t let him go. The mystery hero then ran to help the guards and punched one of the gang. 1999 A pair of armed robbers held up a Securicor van with a gun and are believed to have made off with around £70,000. The terrifying attack happened around 10am outside the Abbey National bank, in Station Parade, Elm Park. It is believed the robbers shoved a Securicor guard up against the side of the van and threatened him with a handgun, while another guard inside the van passed out money through the hatch. Securicor was offering a reward of up to £10,000 for information leading to arrest and conviction. A witness said: “It was really frightening, these two men started shouting and waving a gun. I couldn’t believe what I was seeing, then they just ran off. I was quite shaky because I didn’t know where they were going to run to or to what they were going to do next - it was awful.”

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists