Upminster under-9s crowned Don Coates Trophy champions
- Credit: Archant
Upminster under-9s squad rounded off a memorable season for the club’s colts section with a 14 run victory over Ilford to claim the Don Coates Trophy.
Upminster won the toss and chose to bowl first, and despite giving away more extras than they would normally expect to, they kept the Ilford batsmen in check by regularly picking up wickets.
Ilford’s last pair looked like they may be moving towards a big total but a late wicket for captain Lewis Munn meant the visitors finished on a net total of 255.
George Sheridan and Dylan Narbheram got the Upminster reply off to an excellent start as they put on 29 without losing any wickets to give Upminster control, before Ethan Johnson and Max Warren continued the good work.
Joshua O’Sullivan and Finley Tolan then saw off some high quality Ilford bowling, leaving last pair Dylan Brooks and Munn to come to the crease with Upminster just eight runs behind.
You may also want to watch:
One wicket was lost but Upminster soon secured the win as Brooks struck a maximum over square leg.
Upminster received the trophy and were then joined by the rest of their 43-strong squad to join in the celebrations, before later receiving their medals from Essex star Aaron Beard.
- 1 Firefighters fight car alight in Romford
- 2 Thunderstorms, heavy rain forecast as Met Office issues yellow warnings
- 3 From 100 steps to 10,000: Romford woman tackles serious health issues by losing third of body weight
- 4 Delta variant accounts for majority of Covid cases in much of east London
- 5 BID installs wall of evergreen plants to ‘welcome people’ to Romford
- 6 Romford neighbours' outrage over ‘bonkers’ £20,000 council bill
- 7 Love Island star Kem Cetinay says Romford's Array to open 'in three weeks'
- 8 London Stadium to host mass Covid-19 jabs event for north east Londoners
- 9 'We had no idea how big he was': 11lb 4oz baby born at Romford hospital
- 10 'Stay strong': West Ham footballers send messages to fan with cancer