Tournament wins for Byron Red Star and Collier Row
- Credit: Archant
Youngsters on top at Redbridge and Hannakins events
Byron Red Star under-7 Eagles came out on top in their first tournament of the summer at Redbridge’s Oakside Stadium.
They won four out of five group games, with Owen Hutchinson scoring four times, while Louis King and Lennie Nicholson nabbed braces.
George London kept three clean sheets to help seal top spot and set up a final with R77, the only team to beat them in the group.
Frank Campkin and Teddy Humphries battled well in midfield to set up Leo Leborgne, who shot just wide, while great defending by William Exley kept R77 at bay.
And Byron snatched victory in the last minute as Hutchinson collected the ball on the left and played in Leborgne to slot home.
Collier Row under-nine Whites were also celebrating after winning the Hannakins festival.
- 1 Car park killing: John Avers the 'best friend' of hitman, court hears
- 2 Man and woman arrested following Hornchurch stabbing
- 3 Construction company asks to make changes to approved 40-flat development in Romford
- 4 Rainham road closed as tactic to stop flytipping
- 5 'Pupils love coming here': Romford primary school retains 'good' rating
- 6 Plans to convert hotel into housing rejected despite residents' support
- 7 Mum-of-two honoured by US president Joe Biden
- 8 Tribute paid to father one year after death in council hostel
- 9 Two Havering councillors to stand down at next election
- 10 Plan for homes next to listed Hornchurch water tower rumoured to cover monks’ escape tunnel
Rowe remained unbeaten in five matches on the day and did not concede once to the delight of manager Colin Gilroy, who said: “I’m immensely proud of all the boys as they showed real maturity and fantastic team spirit throughout the day.”