Stung Raiders get some reward

PUBLISHED: 20:45 10 January 2015 | UPDATED: 20:53 10 January 2015

Jacob Ranson was on target for London Raiders against Bracknell (pic: John Scott)

Jacob Ranson was on target for London Raiders against Bracknell (pic: John Scott)


National League: Bracknell 3 London Raiders 3

Vaclav Drabek in action for London Raiders against Bracknell (pic: John Scott)Vaclav Drabek in action for London Raiders against Bracknell (pic: John Scott)

Raiders had to settle for just a point after letting a three-goal lead slip in the final 10 minutes at Bracknell.

But that still allowed them to climb into a play-off place in the National League table, leapfrogging Cardiff into eighth place.

First-period goals from Grant Taylor and Jacob Ranson gave Raiders a 2-0 advantage, with Liam Chong seemingly securing victory with a third goal early in the final period.

But Daniel Rose replied with just over minutes remaining and, after import defenceman Vaclav Drabek was ruled out of the rest of the match following a 10-minute misconduct penalty, the visitors conceded twice more in 83 seconds to see their lead wiped out.

Ross Wilkinson in action for London Raiders against Bracknell (pic: John Scott)Ross Wilkinson in action for London Raiders against Bracknell (pic: John Scott)

Both sides had chances to win it in a frantic finale, but it ended all square and Raiders will need to rebound when they visit basement boys Oxford tomorrow night.

Barely 90 seconds had been played when Raiders defenceman David Oliver was binned on a kneeing minor.

But former Raiders forward JJ Pitchley was called for holding the stick soon after and the visitors made him pay as Taylor netted on the powerplay for his first goal since rejoining the club.

Ranson doubled London’s lead in the 10th minute and they killed off an interference minor against Josh Condren, before surviving a two-minute spell of 5-on-3 after Ross Wilkinson and Phil Manny were binned at the same time late in the opening stanza.

Further penalties against Taylor and captain Tom Davis were killed off by Raiders – who gave a debut to new signing Alan Lack – early in the middle period before Steve Dunnage and Wilkinson went to the box late in the session to hand Bracknell another 5-on-3 chance.

James Tanner held firm in the Raiders net to preserve the two-goal lead at the 40-minute mark, with the shot count level at 21-21.

Matt France sent man of the match Chong clear to make it 3-0 in the 44th minute, but Hornets came alive late on as Rose and Dan Hughes netted 75 seconds apart – either side of Drabek’s misdemeanour – to cut the gap to just one.

And as Raiders nerves jangled, man of the match Rose levelled it all up with 6:38 still on the clock.

There was still late drama as Hornets defenceman Michael Plenty was given an interference minor with just over two minutes left, giving Raiders an extra man for the closing stages.

But the visitors could not make it count and they saw Davis binned for roughing with 16 seconds left, which were safely navigated as it finished level.

Bracknell: Daniel Rose 2 Daniel Hughes 1 Peter Jasik* 0+2 JJ Pitchley 0+1 Carl Thompson 0+1 Valdemar Pelikovsky* 0+1.

Raiders: Liam Chong 1 Grant Taylor 1 Jacob Ranson 1 Dan Peters 0+1 Tom Davis 0+1 Matt France 0+1.

Penalty minutes: Bracknell 6 Raiders 40.

Shots on goal: David Wride (Bracknell) 35 James Tanner (Raiders) 35.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Romford Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Romford Recorder