Legend Stewart set to return to Romford for celebratory Sapphire clash with Raiders
- Credit: Archant
Rob Stewart will return to play in Romford for the Legends against the Everyone Active Raiders on Sunday August 26.
The Canadian defenceman is the latest name to be revealed for the celebratory fixture, following the announcements earlier this week of Shaun McFadyen, Tari Suwari, Craig Britton and Jason Buckman.
And Stewart, now 52 years old, is one of the greatest players in the history of the sport in the town and Britain in general, having been inducted into the Hall of Fame for a glittering career.
Stewart came to the UK in 1990 to play for Basingstoke but was released after just two games and signed by Romford Raiders as temporary injury cover.
However, player-coach Gord Jeffrey kept him on the roster and he went on to win the Raider of the Year award three seasons in a row, while also being named on the league’s all-star team.
You may also want to watch:
After spells with Telford and Bracknell, he went on to join the newly-formed Belfast Giants and has won a host of Superleague and Elite League medals, while also enjoying a playing return to Romford in 2006/7, before a year as head coach at Rom Valley Way.
Stewart is the third highest scorer in Raiders history with 634 points (256 goals, 378 assists) from 296 appearances and will line up on the blue line again with McFadyen, the club’s highest scoring British defenceman with 225 points.
- 1 'Foul odour': Neighbours call for action over worsening sewage stench
- 2 Love Island star Kem Cetinay says Romford's Array to open 'in three weeks'
- 3 Home owner ordered to pay £4,726 to remove overflowing rubbish
- 4 Patient gets £12k in out-of-court settlement with Romford dental practice
- 5 Pupils equipped for 'medical emergencies' after winning first aid classes
- 6 Heritage: Tragedy at the Upminster sewage works
- 7 Police officer guilty of spying on woman in the shower
- 8 People in hospital after Collier Row collision
- 9 Partner: Romford shooting verdict 'brushes police errors under the carpet'
- 10 Volunteer on using video skills to help hospice
Suwari played 336 times over seven seasons in the late 1980s and early 1990s, scoring 124 points, while Britton played 109 times from 2004-6 and scored 85 points.
Utility player Buckman joined in 2009 from Peterborough and spent five seasons in a gold and blue jersey, playing 226 times and scoring 121 points and helping the Raiders win English League and cup honours before the closure of the old rink in Romford.
The five players announced this week join Rich Tomalin and Jon Beckett on the Legends roster to face the current squad, with more names to be revealed next week in the build-up to the big match.
Tickets have been on sale at Wednesday night junior training sessions at the Sapphire Ice & Leisure Centre for the past two weeks – along with season tickets for the National League – and supporters are urged to keep an eye on the club’s social media accounts for regular updates.