School Sport: St Martin’s girls book National finals trip
- Credit: Archant
St Martin’s School in Hutton saw their under-13 girls’ cross-country team reach the National finals for the first time this week.
Having dominated the first round at Felsted School in Dunmow, finishing 30 points clear of New Hall, they went to the regional finals at Benfleet.
And outstanding runs by Amelia King (fourth), Abigail Swan (sixth) and Sienna Shipton (eighth) ensured a trip to Sheffield on December 7, along with Upminster's Coopers Coborn and Southend High School for Girls.
Head of girls' PE Lynne Swan said: "I am so proud of all our runners. The girls have been working extremely hard in training and to have three in the top eight of a Regional event really demonstrates their commitment.
"This is the first time we've qualified for the National Schools Final having missed out by one place last year. I'm delighted for them."
You may also want to watch:
Henri McCarthy, Sophie Willson and Daisy Marshall were also in the St Martin's junior squad.
- 1 Letters: Breaking bad news, boundary changes, lockdown and parking
- 2 Debenhams, Liberty Centre, to permanently close
- 3 Watch police fine seven in Romford for watching TV together
- 4 De Rougemont Hotel plans to revert to being homes
- 5 Romford cancer patient describes impact of Covid pandemic on mental health
- 6 Mick Norcross, The Only Way Is Essex star, has died aged 57
- 7 British Gas engineers burn contracts at Havering Town Hall in defiance of 'sign or be fired'
- 8 Sadly, this isn't a funny column
- 9 Covid deaths increase at Queen's and King George hospitals this week
- 10 Council report reveals concern that borough's Covid vaccination drive may be held back