Cricket: Southend loss hits Shenfield survival hopes
- Credit: George Phillipou/TGS Photo
Shenfield saw their survival hopes in the Shepherd Neame Essex League Premier Division hit by defeat against bottom club Southend.
Put into bat by the visitors, they saw their top three of Ollie Ekers (27), Mitchell Edwards (68) and Jamie Walton (55) all make starts.
And Jack Potticary hit a superb 128 to help lift the total to a challenging 323-6 declared inside 46 overs.
Essex staffer Aaron Beard then dismissed Southend opener Lewis Wright for a duck, but it proved a false dawn as Southend captain Oliver Wagstaff (72) and Charlie Lockhart (58) hit half-centuries in a second-wicket stand.
Mitchell Edwards removed both batsmen and also accounted for Thomas Phillippe (45), before Carl Lees was run out for 76.
You may also want to watch:
Southend kept up with the run rate, though, and went on to claim a two-wicket win with three balls left in the 66th over.
Edwards finished with 5-86 from a 21-over spell, as Beard (2-48) banned a brace but defeat left Shenfield, who claimed 11 bonus points, just six above the bottom two with two games remaining.
- 1 'Foul odour': Neighbours call for action over worsening sewage stench
- 2 Love Island star Kem Cetinay says Romford's Array to open 'in three weeks'
- 3 Home owner ordered to pay £4,726 to remove overflowing rubbish
- 4 Patient gets £12k in out-of-court settlement with Romford dental practice
- 5 Pupils equipped for 'medical emergencies' after winning first aid classes
- 6 Heritage: Tragedy at the Upminster sewage works
- 7 Police officer guilty of spying on woman in the shower
- 8 People in hospital after Collier Row collision
- 9 Partner: Romford shooting verdict 'brushes police errors under the carpet'
- 10 Volunteer on using video skills to help hospice