Shenfield lose by 10-wickets, while Billericay secure narrow win
- Credit: George Phillipou/TGS Photo
The latest from our local clubs in the Essex League Premier Division
Shenfield had a day to forget in the Essex League Premier Division after losing by 10 wickets at champions Chelmsford.
Jack Kliber won the toss and decided to bat first, but saw his team skittled out for just 87 at Chelmer Park.
Jack Potticary (20), Ollie Ekers (12) and Tom Austin (21) made it into double figures, but no one else did as Ben Waring claimed 4-22 for the hosts.
In reply, Chelmsford made light work of the chase with Jack Plom (0-33) and Arshad Ali (0-39) coming in for punishment as the home side won since 10 overs.
You may also want to watch:
There was better news for Billericay, however, at home to Hadleigh & Thundersley after they won by two wickets.
After putting the visitors into bat first, Ross Poulton (3-42) and Adam Marchant (2-27) restricted the away side to 170-7 off their 50 overs despite Adam Soilleux’s 51 and 46 by Oliver Smith.
- 1 Covid 'past the peak' at Queen's and King George hospitals
- 2 Can you help find Ricky Wellington, last seen on January 22 in Hornchurch?
- 3 Watch police break up 20-person Hornchurch baby shower
- 4 Leaked council email casts doubt over Brookside theatre's future
- 5 De Rougemont Hotel plans to revert to being homes
- 6 Debenhams, Liberty Centre, to permanently close
- 7 Pub owner 'drilled through cables' weeks before boy was electrocuted, court told
- 8 Charity launches new 'pantry' - free shop for parents in need
- 9 Council report reveals concern that borough's Covid vaccination drive may be held back
- 10 Watch police fine seven in Romford for watching TV together
The chase was far from straight-forward for Billericay even though a number of their batsmen made starts.
Aaron Curtis (19) and David Hinnigan (24) helped give the hosts a solid foundation before Darren Ironside scored a speedy 33.
Poulton added 25 from number six, but it was left to wicket-keeper Rob Lee, batting at nine, to get Billericay home in the 45th over with 23 not out.