Seven-up Romford celebrate; women draw positives

PUBLISHED: 10:30 10 March 2017

Romford players celebrate a goal (pic George Phillipou/TGS Photo)

Romford players celebrate a goal (pic George Phillipou/TGS Photo)

©TGS Photo +44 1376 553468

Waltham Forest III 5 Romford 7

Romford score their first goal against Harlow (pic Gavin Ellis/TGS Photo)Romford score their first goal against Harlow (pic Gavin Ellis/TGS Photo)

Romford came out on top after a 12-goal thriller with Forest in East Five South East.

With only three games to go this season after an improvement in their playing style, Romford went into the match looking to end their season on a high.

They started without vice-captain Tom Woodman in goal, so had regular right-back Dan Reilly standing in, and began well, pinning the home side back in their own half.

A lapse in concentration saw Forest take the lead inside 10 minutes and they nearly doubled their lead but had another effort ruled out for hitting a foot on the way in.

Romford regrouped and nearly equalised through Jamie Norris when his off-target strike was deflected by Stuart Boyling but went agonisingly wide.

It was all square on 20 minutes, though, as Romford’s pressure paid off with a quickfire double from Boyling, who sent a reverse stick shot into the bottom corner and then added a close range strike.

Romford scored another goal before half-time when a loose ball was pick up by Boyling who unselfishly passed to captain Ashley Meyer to score.

And Romford carried their momentum into the second half as great work from Norris and Andrew McQuarrie set up Meyer for his second of the game to make it 4-1.

Forest hit back with their second goal, but a great run from McQuarrie saw him race into the D only to be upended by a defender and win a short corner which was duly dispatched by Meyer for his hat-trick after a quick one-two with Boyling.

The home side grabbed a third, with both sides playing attacking hockey, but Romford replied through Boyling, who collected the ball with his back to the keeper and rounded him to make it 6-3.

Forest made a tactical change which saw them play with three up front and score twice in three minutes to close the gap to one, but Romford had the final say when McQuarrie fired the ball into the D seven minutes from time and the unmarked Boyling claimed his fourth goal at the far post.

The seconds lost 4-1 at home to Colchester fourths, but the Romford returned from Harlow with a hard-fought point in Essex Division One.

Leah Butcher netted a hat-trick and Katie Williams was also on target for the visitors in a thrilling 4-4 draw.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Romford Recorder. Click the link in the orange box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Romford Recorder