School Sport: Mixed results for Redden Court

PUBLISHED: 08:29 26 November 2015 | UPDATED: 08:29 26 November 2015

The rugby season is underway (pic: George Phillipou/TGS Photo)

The rugby season is underway (pic: George Phillipou/TGS Photo)

©TGS Photo +44 8450 946026

Win, draw and loss for rugby squads

Redden Court’s rugby squads have experienced mixed results recently.

The year 10s took on Chafford in tricky conditions, but clever territorial play by skipper Seb Williams kept the visiting team in their own half.

Jacob Roberts opened the home team’s account with some great individual footwork to beat his man and score in the corner.

And Roberts went over for his second try of the game, before Williams touched down to make it 15-0 after only 12 minutes.

Chafford fought back and had a spell of possession that really threatened the Redden Court pack, but Harvey Moremont, Kain Rigby, Luke Swift and Joseph Piercy denied them any success.

Fly-half Max Shepard went on a solo run covering 40 yards to claim Redden Court’s fourth try of the half, with player of the match Williams and Shepard adding two more tries in a shortened second period, with Callum Francis converting.

A spokesperson said: “It was a performance showing great ‘bouncebackability’ after their cup game and even better that no tries were conceded.”

Squad: Guven, Purkiss, Payla, Moremont, Rigby, Swift, Piercy, Francis, Williams, Shepard, Roberts, Tull, Cunningham, Webb, Littleton.

Redden Court’s first fixture under Mr Gilligan had ended in a 10-10 draw with Albany.

The game started in a positive fashion with the dominant force of Joseph Piercy opening the scoring with a great individual run.

Albany got back into the game by keeping the ball tight in the forwards, but with players such as Luke Swift, Callum Francis and Nathan Clarke Redden Court were able to restrain the visitors from gaining momentum.

Redden Court controlled more of the game in the second half with captain Seb Williams leading the backs and getting the boys on the front foot with his energy around the break down.

Fly-half Max Shepard caused numerous problems with his powerful running and year nine debutants James Lickfold, AJ Jordan and Liam Palmer-Anscomb all got game time after being called up to the squad.

Redden Court moved 10-5 up in the closing minutes, but they were unable to hold on to that lead as they conceded a second try just before the whistle.

*Redden Court’s year sevens fell to a 24-12 defeat against Marshalls Park in their first outing of the season.

Lee Walton led the team fantastically in the first half, with Redden Court taking the lead through two 60-yard runs from James Jenkins after great forward play from the pack.

Redden Court had their resilience tested in defence midway through the first half, but came out on top as excellent work from Jefferies and Charlie Fletcher prevented Marshalls Park from scoring.

After changing their team in the second half, bringing on some fresh legs and looking to create an impact, Redden Court were left to rue some individual errors and simple mistakes.

And despite the crowd’s best effort to get behind the boys and push them over the line, Redden Court were unable to hold on to their lead as Park came out on top .

Charlier Fletcher was named player of the match for Redden Court.

Redden Court: Walton, Stackable, Henman, Jefferies, Fletcher, Spicer, Shawyer, Chinnery, Slemming, Jenkins, McGovern, Kruse, Walton.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Romford Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Romford Recorder