Romford get ready for big night of boxing
- Credit: Archant
Club set up showdown with Scandinavians
Romford Boxing Club are gearing up for a big night of action against a Scandinavian Select next Friday (February 13).
The RUSS Club on Mawney Road will play host to 18 bouts between local boxers and rivals from Sweden and Denmark.
And coach Paul Claydon cannot wait, saying: “It will probably be the biggest international club match ever staged in Romford.
“It’s a big ask but I decided to do this show with my good friends from the Gladsaxe club in Copenhagen.
You may also want to watch:
“Romford have very close ties with the club with my uncle, the late Axel Reckweg, a former boxer who represented Gladsaxe for over four years of his long career.
“At first it was going to be the normal six or so, but such was the interest from as far as Copenhagen, Gothenburg, south Sweden and Jutland I’ve managed to put together some unbelievable fights.
- 1 Havering households to be asked to participate in census
- 2 Police appeal after second fatal Rainham collision in less than a week
- 3 Council report reveals concern that borough's Covid vaccination drive may be held back
- 4 Deputy head: School's teachers have gone 'above and beyond' during Covid pandemic
- 5 Christmas Day babies to spend their first few weeks in lockdown
- 6 Man killed in collision on A13 near Rainham
- 7 Netball club in 4,700 mile fundraising challenge to buy tablet for school or care home
- 8 DAB radios donated to Queen's Hospital for those too weak to hold a phone
- 9 Havering parks and gardens five feet under water as rivers burst their banks
- 10 Fines issued to Romford and Upminster restaurants flouting coronavirus restrictions
“It’s a chance for people to come out and support their local boxers against some of the very best in Europe, from youngsters starting out right up to Swedish, Danish and European champions in what promises to be an unbelievable night.”
Romford’s Mark Fuller, Sam Strange and Tom Lickfold will face opponents from Denmark’s Struer BK, while Tim Olla also meets a Danish rival and Paul Clayton takes on a Swedish fighter.
Harold Hill’s Five Star are represented by Tony O’Brien and Regan Waller, who meet Swedish rivals, while Lewis Smith faces a fighter from Gladsaxe.
West Ham’s Michael Dunn, Tony O’Driscoll, Jordan Reynolds, Luke Saunders, Paddy McCarthy and Metz Metowlli are also on the bill.
Due to overwhelming interest, the show will be an all-ticket affair wit no entry on the night.
Tickes are priced at £15 and anyone wishing to come and support the event should contact Paul Claydon on 07980 959354.