Relegated Romford announce Butterworth as new boss
- Credit: Gavin Ellis/TGS Photo
Romford have announced Steve Butterworth as their new manager, following the club's relegation from the Isthmian League this season.
Boro finished well adrift at the bottom of the North division table after a season-long struggle and will return to compete in the Essex Senior League in 2022-23.
Butterworth has previously managed Great Wakering Rovers, having also helped them win the Essex Senior League title as a player.
And Romford are hoping his experience at step five level will stand them in good stead, with chairman Steve Gardener saying: "It was important we had someone in place as early as possible to allow a manager to get not only his backroom staff, but players on board as soon as possible.
"It was clear from the beginning Steve understood the constraints the club was under, but also our desire to grow the support and the club whilst in the Essex Senior League.
"This is the start of the club looking forward to the future and drawing a line under last season.
"We're looking forward to working with Steve. He knows a lot of players from our area, that will be suitable for the league we're going into.
- 1 TOWIE stars and West Ham footballer attend Upminster health centre's launch
- 2 Have your say: End of consultation on plans for 860 Romford homes looms
- 3 Queen’s Platinum Jubilee: Street parties and road closures in Havering
- 4 TfL consultation opens on plans to extend ULEZ into Greater London
- 5 As many as 15 injured in Gidea Park bus crash
- 6 'It felt like a dream': Upminster headteacher attends Queen's Garden Party
- 7 Gallows Corner Tesco: Decision on appeal expected following hearing about 87-home development
- 8 First 49,000 people paid £150 council tax rebate despite delays, council says
- 9 Romford SEND academy asks to change timber cladding for durable alternative
- 10 How many Covid patients are there in east London hospitals this week?
"We want supporters to come back to watching us and after the poor season and relegation we are hoping Steve can get a squad on the pitch that allows that to happen.
"He understands what the club means to supporters and knows being involved with Romford is full of twists and turns, but wants to come on that journey with us."