Red card to a Bull

PUBLISHED: 14:59 13 November 2010

Upminster hero to zero

Geoff Bull’s late red card could not ruin Upminster’s day in Cambridge.

Bull, having restored his side’s lead, was dismissed for a robust challenge in the final minute, but the visitors held on to record a second successive win.

Upminster were put under heavy pressure in the opening exchanges, but Matt Malby and Chris Abrey stood firm in a much-improved defensive display.

Malby put his body on the line to block a goalbound shot and City missed the resulting penalty flick.

A quick break on the right by Harry Trusler set up Mike Joffe to slot home just before the break.

But City hit back to level early in the second half and the match remained in the balance until Bull smashed home at the far post.

Bull saw red soon after, but Upminster returned home happy with themselves and visit Broxbourne tomorrow.

The 2nd XI held firm in the face of early Clacton pressure at Coopers.

And Upminster took the lead before the break when Mike Pollock converted from close range.

Clacton forced a short corner midway through the second half, but man of the match Tom Marston made a stunning, diving save to preserve the home side’s lead.

A quick counter-attacking move then saw Jamie O’Dell flick home a second and, although Clacton grabbed a late reply it was not enough.

Alex Jupp took Upminster’s defender of the match award.

The 3rds crashed to defeat in their bottom-of-the-table meeting with Southend 2nds.

A poor start saw Upminster fall 2-0 down inside 10 minutes, but they hit back as David Farrant deflected home from a short corner.

Nick Harris levelled soon after, but Upminster conceded twice more to fall 4-2 down.

David Farrant replied before the break, but there would be no more goals in the second half, despite an improved Upminster display.

The 5ths maintained their unbeaten record with a 2-0 success over Brentwoods 6ths.

Jacob Spindler kept Brentwood at bay, as father and son Mark and Ian Turner impressed in defence.

Jack Downes shone on the right wing and man of the match Ross Milroy slipped home the first goal before half-time.

Lucas Spindler went close after the break, after good work from Steve Pearce.

But a delightful run by Phil Hudson set up the chance for Gary Binder to fire home a first-time shot to seal the points.

The 6th XI edged past Old Southendian 5ths with a 2-1 win.

Sam Green’s shot from the edge of the D was deflected in by Luke Alexandrou and Kevin Fernandes doubled the lead soon after.

The home side had a short corner effort ruled out before half-time, but halved the deficit to set up a tense last 10 minutes.

Defender of the match John Daltrey held firm, though, as Upminster claimed the points.

Upminster’s women produced another good performance against Crostyx to keep their East League campaign ticking along nicely.

Strong defensive work restricted Crostyx to just two shots at goal throughout the whole game, while Annabel Davies and Amy Blackwell combined well in attack.

Upminster forced a string of short corners, but had to wait until the second half to make any of them count, when Alexa Marston pounced on a loose ball, after Blackwell’s shot was blocked, to slot home at the left post and clinch a 1-0 win.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Romford Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Romford Recorder