Raiders lose out to Redskins

PUBLISHED: 09:43 16 November 2015 | UPDATED: 09:43 16 November 2015

Rio Grinell-Parke was on target as London Raiders lost to Streatham (pic: John Scott)

Rio Grinell-Parke was on target as London Raiders lost to Streatham (pic: John Scott)


National League: Streatham 6 London Raiders 4

London Raiders came up short in their capital derby at Streatham last night.

Travelling south of the river after beating Cardiff at Lee Valley 24 hours earlier, to face a Redskins side on a three-match losing streak, Raiders opened the scoring in the ninth minute.

The visitors – beaten 10-4 on their previous visit – had failed to capitalise on an early powerplay but got their noses in front when Marek Nahlik broke away on the left and fired into the roof of the net.

Raiders joy was shortlived, though, as Streatham skipper Joe Johnston levelled less than 90 seconds later, before Callum Best pounced on a loose puck at close range to put the home side ahead just 46 seconds on.

Best made it 3-1 after being teed up by Kamil Kinkor, but Raiders hit back before as Michal Oravec sent Frankie Harvey away to beat Will Sanderson.

Streatham had the final say in the opening frame, however, as Kinkor smashed home a powerplay goal after Mason Webster was binned for high sticks, despite the desperate attempts of Michael Gray and his defence to keep the puck out of the net.

The second period was barely four minutes old when Kinkor latched on to a long pass by Adam Mahoney and outfoxed Gray to make it 5-2.

And the home side added a sixth before the break, despite a string of fine saves from the busy Gray, when Adam Wood pounced on a rebound after a Kinkor shot had been blocked.

Raiders were given a five-minute powerplay early in the final stanza when Best caught defenceman Robbie Veares with an elbow, which drew blood.

But the visitors could not make their extra man count and had to wait until the 56th minute before claiming their third goal of the night, as Rio Grinell-Parke’s quick snapshot found the top corner.

A hooking call against Kinkor gave Raiders another powerplay chance soon after, with Harvey grabbing his second goal of the night to cut the gap to two.

But despite pulling Gray for an extra skater, when Daniel Clayton was binned for interference, Raiders could not make any further inroads and left empty-handed.

Scorers, Streatham: Kamil Kinkor* 2+2 Callum Best 2+1 Joe Johnston 1 Adam Wood 1 Steven Fisher 0+2 Adam Mahoney 0+1.
Raiders: Frankie Harvey 2 Marek Nahlik* 1 Rio Grinell-Parke 1 Sam Roberts 0+1 Jack Cooper 0+1 Robert Veares 0+1 Liam Chong 0+1 Michael Oravec* 0+1 David Oliver 0+1.

Penalty minutes; Streatham 47 Raiders 35.

Shots faced: Will Sanderson (S) 13-9-13=35-4 Michael Gray (L, 59:19) 22-16-9=47-6 Empty net (0:41) 0-0.

Referees: Blaine Evans/Emil Fusco.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Romford Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Romford Recorder