Cricket: Champions Old Brentwoods beaten on final day
- Credit: Gavin Ellis/TGS Photo
Shepherd Neame Essex League Division Three champions Old Brentwoods lost their unbeaten record on the final day of the 2018 season with defeat at Westcliff.
Put into bat at Chalkwell Park, and with only 10 players available, they lost Ishaq Khan cheaply before Mo Amin (28) put on 72 with Shazad Khan, who hit two sixes and six fours in his 47 off 48 balls.
Three wickets fell with the total on 89, though, and Brentwoods needed some middle and lower-order runs from Abid Alaracu (34), Ramesh Gunalan (31 not out), captain Baber Choudhary (28 not out) and Raheel Ahmed (27) to reach 240-8.
Gunalan grabbed an early wicket in Westcliff’s reply, but Alexander Portugal (55) and Jonathan Pratt (44) put on 103 for the second wicket, before both fell to Amin (2-32) in quick succession.
Jack Stead (45) also chipped in for the home side before falling to Gunalan (2-38) and captain Peter Barnes hit an unbeaten 49 off 55 to see Westcliff to a six-wicket win in the 45th over.
You may also want to watch:
Brentwoods still finished 36 points clear of Benfleet at the top of the table, having won 15 matches and drawn the other two played in a fine campaign.
- 1 'A tax on relationships': Politicians criticise boundary charge proposal
- 2 Council report reveals concern that borough's Covid vaccination drive may be held back
- 3 Havering households to be asked to participate in census
- 4 Police appeal after second fatal Rainham collision in less than a week
- 5 Sunflower Suite at Queen's Hospital chosen for this year's Christine Willett Trust donation
- 6 'My life lit up': Councillor's joy at reuniting with daughter after more than 30 years
- 7 Man killed in collision on A13 near Rainham
- 8 Deputy head: School's teachers have gone 'above and beyond' during Covid pandemic
- 9 Infection rates are now falling in Havering - is lockdown working?
- 10 Havering parks and gardens five feet under water as rivers burst their banks