National League: MK Thunder 2 Raiders 4

PUBLISHED: 07:18 12 March 2018 | UPDATED: 07:18 12 March 2018

Raiders forward JJ Pitchley attacks at Milton Keynes (pic John Scott)

Raiders forward JJ Pitchley attacks at Milton Keynes (pic John Scott)


JJ Pitchley’s hat-trick fired Raiders to a season-ending win at Milton Keynes on Sunday, which secured a fourth-place finish in the National League.

Final table

P W D L F A Pts

Basingstoke 32 28 0 4 158 60 56

Peterborough 32 27 2 3 159 69 56

Swindon 32 22 4 6 150 92 48

Raiders 32 18 1 13 121 106 37

Bracknell 32 16 2 14 137 125 34

Streatham 32 14 1 17 114 110 29

M Keynes* 32 9 6 16 74 120 25

Invicta 32 9 4 19 88 137 22

Cardiff* 32 0 2 29 41 223 3

*M Keynes v Cardiff awarded 0-0.

Raiders had beaten Thunder 6-1 at Romford’s Sapphire Ice & Leisure Centre to leapfrog Bracknell in the table and they made it a four-point weekend in the return meeting 24 hours later.

Early penalties against Matt Turner and Sean Barry handed the home side a spell of 5-on-3 and they made it count as Ross Bowers netted on the power play in the sixth minute.

Pitchley had gone 12 games without a goal, since netting in a 2-1 win at Streatham on January 21, but levelled a little over two minutes later and then struck again to put the visitors ahead towards the end of the first period.

Thunder were awarded a penalty shot in the middle session, but Raiders goalie Michael Gray kept it out to ensure his side remained in front heading into the final 20 minutes of the regular campaign.

Raiders forward Brandon Ayliffe attacks at Milton Keynes (pic John Scott)Raiders forward Brandon Ayliffe attacks at Milton Keynes (pic John Scott)

And although Raiders could not capitalise on their only power play of the night when Greg Randall was binned for tripping soon after the restart, they moved 3-1 up when Pitchley completed his treble with just under 10 minutes remaining.

The hat-trick hero took a slashing penalty soon after, but Raiders added a fourth soon after his return to the action as Thomas Beesley fired in off the crossbar for his second goal in successive matches.

An interference minor against captain Tom Davis was killed off in the closing minutes, but Thunder grabbed a consolation with 41 seconds left on the clock through Logan Prince.

It failed to take the shine off a good road win for Raiders, with Pitchley their man of the match as they achieved their top-four target for the season.

Raiders forward Matt Turner attacks at Milton Keynes (pic John Scott)Raiders forward Matt Turner attacks at Milton Keynes (pic John Scott)

They will now hope to progress in the play-offs and visit Bracknell for the first leg of their tie next Saturday, before hosting the return in Romford the following night.

Thunder: Logan Prince 1; Ross Bowers 1; Grant McPherson 0+1; Tom Mboya 0+1; Tom Carlon 0+1; Lewis Christie 0+1.

Raiders: JJ Pitchley 3; Thomas Beesley 1; Olegs Lascenko 0+2; Juraj Huska* 0+1.

Penalty minutes: Thunder 2; Raiders 8.

Shots on goal: Tom Annetts (MK) 12-12-14=38-4; Michael Gray (L) 10-13-14=37-2.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Romford Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Romford Recorder