Mason makes Raiders U-turn
- Credit: Archant
Forward decides not to join club
London Raiders have been rocked by the news that British forward Mason Webster will not be joining them for the new National League season.
Webster was announced as a new signing earlier in the summer, having spent time with English Premier League outfit Peterborough last season.
But the Maldon-based youngster has done a U-turn and decided not to join the Lee Valley-based Raiders.
A club statement said: “We are disappointed to learn that Mason Webster will not be icing for Raiders this season.
You may also want to watch:
“Mason has been offered a role within a team in the EPL, in which he played last season.
“Whilst the management are, and players and fans are bound to be, disappointed by his change of mind, we are also mindful of the opportunity this offers Mason to challenge himself, develop and assess his future aspirations.
- 1 Shoppers and traders enjoy Romford market and high street in the sunshine
- 2 Man and woman assaulted at Upminster Station
- 3 Harold Wood residents delighted as deer graze outside their windows
- 4 Romford swimmer calls for volunteers to take plunge for hospice
- 5 'I'm appalled at no-show bookings as pubs reopen'
- 6 Romford new age shop to reopen again after closure years ago
- 7 Covid hospital admissions and deaths in stark decline, NHS trust data shows
- 8 Upminster student completes 4x4x48 Challenge for Saint Francis Hospice
- 9 Mayoral election 2021: how will candidates improve east London?
- 10 Council cannot 'justify' stronger bollards after fifth crash in 18 months
“We believed this would be a season for Mason to prove with us the skills he has beyond the physical reputation he has developed. We part company on good terms naturally and wish him well back in the EPL.”
Webster’s change of heart leaves coach Alan Blyth with another spot to fill on his roster, which already includes Frankie Harvey, Liam Chong, Alan Lack, TJ Fillery, Seb Downing, Bailey Chittock, David Oliver, Tom Davis, Stevie Dunnage, Michael Gray, Jack Cooper and import Michal Oravec.
The statement added: “In Mason’s absence of course we will re-commence actively recruiting, so players that realistically feel they can enjoy being part of and add to what we are assembling, are encouraged to contact the Raiders coaching and management staff.
“Thanks are again extended to the team of volunteers doing such a great job behind the scenes already this season, with sponsorship, shirt designs, event organising already under way.
“Also thanks to those providing the sponsorship and pledges. Without your support the clockwork mechanism that is the Raiders organisation doesn’t even get its mainspring tightened!”