Lawn bowlers roll up for annual ladies’ contest
- Credit: Archant
Brentwood Bowling Club host successful day of bowls
Bowlers from across Essex converged on Brentwood on Wednesday for Brentwood Bowling Club’s Ladies’ Gala Day.
The annual event is one of the highlights of the lawn bowling calendar in Essex, not only as a great competitive event but also as a social gathering.
Torrential overnight rain delayed the start of the competition by half an hour, but the clouds gave way to brilliant sunshine and all 12 rinks were in play for a superb day’s bowling at the club in King George’s Playing Fields.
This year, 24 teams each played four games of six ends with a break for lunch prepared by host club volunteers who also served refreshments including home-made cakes throughout the day.
You may also want to watch:
The day culminated with Brentwood ladies’ captain Margaret Rayment presenting cash prizes to winners Runwell 1, runners-up Liberty of Havering 2 and third-placed South Benfleet and Canvey.
She also presented prizes to winners of various raffles and competitions which raised funds to help the Brentwood club to encourage more people - especially women - to take up the sport.
- 1 Infection rates are now falling in Havering - is lockdown working?
- 2 70% of Havering residents voted to leave the EU
- 3 Havering parks and gardens five feet under water as rivers burst their banks
- 4 Doctors and nurses 'exhausted' as hospitals reach breaking point
- 5 Fines issued to Romford and Upminster restaurants flouting coronavirus restrictions
- 6 More than 100 Covid dead at Queen's and King George this week
- 7 Drug and alcohol abuse by Havering parents and children soars
- 8 Man killed in collision on A13 near Rainham
- 9 Schools say lack of funding means they can't carry out mass Covid testing
- 10 Sonic boom heard across east London, Essex and Cambridge
Full Results; Runwell 1, 56; Liberty of Havering 2, 52; South Benfleet and Canvey 1, 45; Haynes Park 1 (Hornchurch), 43; Warley Hill (Brentwood), South Benfleet and Canvey 2, 42; Liberty of Havering 1, Runwell 2, 34; Rainham 2, Kings Chase 2 (Brentwood), Liberty of Havering 3, 33; Haynes Park 2 (Hornchurch), Kings Chase 1 (Brentwood), Clockhouse, (Upminster) 32; Harold Hill, Hainault, 31; Rainham 1, 30; Central Essex 2 (Brentwood), 27; Gidea Park, 23; Billericay, 22; Chadwell St Mary, 20; Clacton, 17; Murrayfield (Basildon), 15; Central Essex 1 (Brentwood), 9
? For details of free lawn bowls taster sessions for beginners and returners, visit brentwoodbowls.co.uk.