Kelly gets her eye in
Four-goal Butcher leads Romford
Kelly Butcher’s four-goal haul helped Romford to a 6-1 win at Essex University.
The visitors came under early pressure, but Paula Woodward made a vital interception in the D to deny them on one occasion and keeper Sue Wright deflected a shot behind.
A good run and shot from the top of the D gave the students a 10th-minute lead, but Romford hit straight back as Butcher swept home a pass from sister Leah.
Woodward made another good block from an Essex short corner before Sheryl James saw her effort deflected wide at the other end.
You may also want to watch:
But Romford took the lead when a long ball out of defence found Emma James and she helped it on to Leah Butcher, who surged into the D before firing home.
Kelly Butcher and Emma James combined soon after and, when Leah Butcher’s shot was saved, James tucked home the loose ball to make it 3-1 at half-time.
- 1 Teen hospitalised after being stabbed in Upminster
- 2 Woman, 52, dies in Collier Row in 'unexplained' circumstances
- 3 Boy, 15, was in 'life-threatening' condition after Upminster stabbing
- 4 East London's 10 prettiest streets to visit
- 5 Woman dies after falling from 'substantial height' in Romford
- 6 Romford school prepped for another 100 years as major renovation works end
- 7 Broken bus stop in Upminster to be repaired within 'few weeks'
- 8 Public detain male in street after alleged bid to rob Rainham shop
- 9 Royal Mail apologises for Covid-related delays as pensioner reports no deliveries 'for weeks'
- 10 Hospital's failure to identify neck injury 'contributed' to courier's death, inquest finds
Wright made a good save early in the second half to deny the hosts a reply and Romford had a let-off when a Uni player deflected a short corner in with her foot and saw the goal ruled out.
Claire Boyling showed good close control during several runs upfield for Romford, who extended their lead when Kelly Butcher produced a strong run on the left and, with Emma James acting as a decoy at the far post, shot inside the near post.
Katie Williams pounced on a loose ball in midfield and sent a lovely reverse stick pass to Emma James, whose low cross was tucked home at the far post by Butcher to complete her hat-trick.
And, after Wright saved a penalty stroke with her right leg, Emma James and Leah Butcher worked a good one-two from a sideline hit, before Kelly Butcher netted at the second attempt with a reverse stick shot.
Mahmoona Shah’s goal was enough to seal the points for the 2nd XI in their Division Four derby against Upminster 4ths.