Hornets hit back for point

PUBLISHED: 19:22 22 October 2010

Three-goal deficit wiped out


South Under-16

HORNETS produced a stunning fightback to sting under-16 rivals Guildford.

Trailing 4-1, they rallied to net three unanswered goals and claim a hard-earned point at Rom Valley Way.

Guildford raced into a 39-second lead, but Olegs Lascenko, Ross Georgallides and Toms Rutkis went close to levelling before the break.

Georgallides fired home a Glenn Billing pass to square matters and Rutkis and Matthew Hamilton tested the Guildford goalie on a powerplay before the visitors broke out to regain the lead.

Guildford went 3-1 up seconds later and, after Hamilton grazed a post, netted a fourth to leave Hornets up against it.

Rutkis replied at the second attempt before the end of the period and a check to the head of Jake Sylvester saw Romford go on the powerplay, with Hamilton and Mason Brownlie combining for Barney Pauley to fire home.

The equaliser arrived just over a minute later, with good work from Max Gerstein and Billing leading to another goal for man of the match Rutkis.

Brownlie took the spirit of the game award for Hornets, who visit Peterborough tomorrow (Saturday).

Scorers: Rutkis 2 Georgallides 1 Pauley 1 Billing 0+2 Gerstein 0+1 Brownlie 0+1.


South Under-14

HURRICANES had too much firepower for their south London hosts on Sunday.

Olegs Lascenko and Glenn Billing netted 17 seconds apart to put the visitors 2-0 up inside five minutes.

And the goals continued to flow at regular intervals, with Toms Rutkis helping himself to four.

Billing and Brandon Ayliffe added hat-tricks, with Jake Sylvester grabbing a brace as Denis Bell-Blake saved six shots for his shutout.


South Under-12

RAPTORS were edged out of a close encounter at the Spectrum.

Resolute defence kept the hosts at bay early on, before Mikey Power set up Harry Gulliver to score on a counter-attack.

Guildford dominated the second period, but Raptors held firm and looked set to claim a memorable win, keeping their rivals at bay until the final four minutes.

Goalie Ethan James faced a whopping 46 shots in the Romford net to deservedly win their man of the match award, as Sam Austin took the spirit of the game prize.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Romford Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Romford Recorder