Hornchurch CC to remember well-loved wicketkeeper at memorial event
- Credit: Mark Ede
Hornchurch Cricket Club will be holding a day of remembrance for Ben Lee, whose life was cut short earlier this year.
On Saturday (September 11) - what would have been the day before Ben's 51st birthday - there will be games of cricket and a chance for his very many friends to raise a drink in his memory and celebrate his life in a way which wasn't allowed earlier in the year.
Ben was not only a wicketkeeper for Hornchurch for very many years, but he was a member of Gidea Park and Romford Cricket Club's title-winning side, played for Essex County Cricket Club in the under 16s, and represented The MCC on a number of occasions.
Hornchurch CC said Ben often remarked how the sport had brought him so many friends and how joining the club changed his life; not least when teammate Sean Balmford got him his first job as a runner in the city and kick-started his career as a successful trader and later property developer.
They said Ben was a people person, someone who touched the lives of everyone who met him.
You may also want to watch:
The games will begin at 1pm on Saturday.
- 1 Best places to have a curry in Havering as chosen by readers
- 2 Gallows Corner Tesco development proposal refused
- 3 Collier Row shooting: Police release CCTV in bid to trace man
- 4 Havering road and rail delays to look out for next week
- 5 Havering's Hospitality Heroes revealed: Which venues are crowned winners?
- 6 Covid cases drop at Queen’s and King George hospitals
- 7 'Heads should roll': Drug dealers left on Romford streets for eight months
- 8 Daniel Laskos death: Court hearing for murder accused teens
- 9 Sentencing of Harold Hill ATM robber is postponed
- 10 Gidea Park school to celebrate 100th birthday