Gordon buzzing after Hornchurch triumph twice in ‘exciting weekend’
- Credit: Gavin Ellis/TGS Photo
Hornchurch comfortably defeated Chelmsford on Saturday before holding their nerve to see off Brentwood
Hornchurch captain Billy Gordon admitted last weekend was one of the most exciting he has been involved in when it comes to cricket.
The Harrow Lodge Park club played two matches and managed to win both, but in very different circumstances.
On Saturday, Hornchurch played host to Essex League Premier Division champions Chelmsford and won by eight wickets chasing down 131 to win.
It kept them top of the table and a day later they remained on course for more silverware after they defended 107 to see off Brentwood and book their spot in the final of the League Cup.
You may also want to watch:
Overseas Muhammad Irfan took 5-40 on Sunday and 3-34 the day before to bring time at the club to an end in some style.
Gordon said: “The treble is still on! If I’m honest, it was one of the most exciting weekends, in terms of cricket, I have been involved in.
- 1 Covid 'past the peak' at Queen's and King George hospitals
- 2 Can you help find Ricky Wellington, last seen on January 22 in Hornchurch?
- 3 Watch police break up 20-person Hornchurch baby shower
- 4 Leaked council email casts doubt over Brookside theatre's future
- 5 De Rougemont Hotel plans to revert to being homes
- 6 Debenhams, Liberty Centre, to permanently close
- 7 Charity launches new 'pantry' - free shop for parents in need
- 8 Pub owner 'drilled through cables' weeks before boy was electrocuted, court told
- 9 Council report reveals concern that borough's Covid vaccination drive may be held back
- 10 Mick Norcross, The Only Way Is Essex star, has died aged 57
“The match on Sunday was something special. It was Irfan’s last week with us too and he left on a high and did himself proud with some great bowling.”
Saturday’s league clash with Chelmsford was the first of two tough tests across the weekend, but Hornchurch passed it with flying colours.
After winning the toss and fielding first, Gordon claimed 3-50 with Mehad Khan (2-22) and Monty Panesar (1-24) chipping in to help dismiss the visitors for 130.
In reply, Ronnie Saunders continued his impressive form with 71 off just 54 balls to see Hornchurch home in the 21st over.
“Ronnie was excellent with the bat and smashed it to all parts to knock off the runs,” Gordon said.
“And bowling and fielding-wise, we were excellent and it left us with quite a small total to chase.”
It meant Hornchurch had plenty in the tank ahead of Sunday’s League Cup semi-final with Brentwood at Harrow Lodge Park.
Captain Gordon hit 23 at the top of the order, but was the only home player to pass 20 as the hosts were dismissed for 107.
Brentwood only needed 108 to win, but Irfan and Khan (2-17) started impressively and the skipper (2-23) and Marc Whitlock (1-6) backed up their efforts to dismiss the visitors for 95 in the 27th over.
Gordon added: “Irfan bowled really fast on Sunday and he picked up some massive wickets for us.
“It was a funny game because you look at the scorecard and you would think the wicket was terrible, but it really wasn’t.
“We got a couple of quick ones early and they were 50-3 at tea and we managed to get two more soon after and pressure does funny things to you.
“It was a quality win and superb from everyone and a great way to finish a brilliant weekend for us.”