Hornchurch Athletic fell to defeat in league opener against South Woodford
Hornchurch Athletic fell to defeat in their opening Hamro Foundation Essex League Division Three match at South Woodford.
The home side won the toss and chose to field and Athletic were up against it straight away as pace bowler Jamal Richards trapped Ross Raftery lbw from his first ball.
Sam Klein (19) and Liam Porter, who hit an excellent 58, got Athletic back in the game and they were healthily placed at 80-3.
But Richards ran through the tail to take 5-34 as Athletic were dismissed for a disappointing 134.
South Woodford, who were in the Premier Division only a few years ago, chased this down for just four wickets.
You may also want to watch:
This Saturday sees Athletic welcome Stanford to Hylands Park when they will be keen to get their first win of the season.
Athletic fielded five teams in total with two wins and two losses in the four friendlies.
- 1 Romford man gains 100,000 signatures to scrap £200m Prince Philip yacht
- 2 Deadline looming to comment on Market Place development plans
- 3 Man and two boys charged with murder of Daniel Laskos in Harold Wood
- 4 Havering electoral wards face axe as borough is split into 20 areas
- 5 Town centre app launches to entice shoppers to Romford
- 6 Why Romford MP is allowed to keep names of donors secret
- 7 Romford Tesco Extra plants trees to offset car emissions
- 8 'No one deserves that': Neighbours 'traumatised' by triple stabbing
- 9 Harold Wood fatal stabbing victim named as police arrest three more people
- 10 One teenager dead in Harold Wood triple stabbing
The seconds fell to a three-wicket loss at Hockerill after making just 104 but the thirds had a good win at Rayleigh where Chris Martin hit 65 as they chased 187.
Two separate fourth teams played against Hornchurch and Old Chelmsfordians with one win and one loss.
Steve Hunt’s five wickets and Rich Pontin’s half-century at Chelmsfordians were the highlights.