Hockey: Havering women cut down Forest

PUBLISHED: 11:30 17 November 2017 | UPDATED: 15:52 17 November 2017

Havering's Emma Isherwood goes on the attack (pic Mick Kearns/TGS Photo)

Havering's Emma Isherwood goes on the attack (pic Mick Kearns/TGS Photo)

©TGS Photo +44 1376 553468

Havering’s women claimed their second win of the East Two South East season with a 2-0 success at Waltham Forest on Saturday.

Two penalty corner strikes at the start of each half proved decisive, as Havering also registered their first clean sheet of the campaign.

Only seven minutes had been played when Izzy Purdie deflected home from an Emily Gilkes-Tarsey strike and the midfield of Charlotte Chamberlin, Sue Harwood, Katie Griggs and Emily Martin made it tough for Forest to get back in the game.

Keeper Sophie McCoy dealt easily with the shots that did come in and Louise Burgess, running from deep, and Harwood kept creating problems for the hosts.

Gilkes-Tarsey, Martin and Purdie all went close before the break and Havering went 2-0 up five minutes after the restart when a quick change of direction at another corner allowed Gilkes-Tarsey to get a shot away and the ball was deflected into the top corner by an oncoming defender.

Defenders Bukki Olodo, Burgess, Nic Earle and Alison Floyd rarely looked troubled after that as Havering moved up to eighth in the table.

The seconds had to battle hard to beat Basildon, with Nicki Cast calmly converting a second-half penalty flick.

Havering keeper Laura Cheddad made an exceptional save to keep out a Basildon flick in the first half and Cast’s success from the spot proved decisive as the team held on to second place in the Essex League Division One.

Cheddad was subsequently named in the England Hockey team of the week for her heroics in Havering’s goal.

The third team began well against Division Two rivals Colne, forcing a string of short corners early on.

But they could not take advantage, despite Karen Smith’s efforts, and were caught out on the break midway through the first half.

The visitors doubled their lead before the interval, but Havering kept battling on in the second half, with great play from Frankie Joyce and Rae Ahmad.

However, despite their dominance in the game, Havering were made to pay for not taking their chances and Colne sealed their victory with a third goal late in the game.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Romford Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Romford Recorder