Hockey: Havering men win at Wisbech

PUBLISHED: 12:00 24 November 2017

Havering players celebrate a goal (pic George Phillipou/TGS Photo)

Havering players celebrate a goal (pic George Phillipou/TGS Photo)

©TGS Photo +44 1376 553468

Havering's men battled to a slender win at East Premier B rivals Wisbech Town.

Looking to avoid a third loss in a row, they travelled without Adam Lumbers, Aaron Cornish and captain Harry Jenkins.

But they started well, as a good run by Harry Andrews on the right set up a chance for Liam Appleyard to net with a shot on the turn.

The visitors continued to dominate possession through the midfield work of Alex Defroand and Paul Dover and created a few more chances.

Alex Lee made a decent run into the D and picked out Andrews by the penalty spot, but Stuart Garnell was unable to convert at the far post from a tight angle.

A few short corner chances went begging and Dover injured his hamstring which left an already depleted team with only 11 fully fit players for the majority of the game.

Wisbech were content to try and catch Havering on the counter and they went close when a teasing ball flew across the face of Lee Bennett’s goal.

Chances were few and far between in the second half, as Havering’s Jack Barlow and Paul Johnson held firm in defence.

Good hold-up play by Lee and Appleyard and excellent possession retention by man of the match Verinder Channa negated Wisbech’s attacks as Havering held on for a 1-0 victory ahead of a mid-table clash with Dereham this weekend.

The seconds secured a crucial 3-1 win over East London fifths at Mile End.

James Diggens blasted home from a short corner and Haydyn Joslin tapped in from close range, as Adam Willett and Ryan Adcock also went close before the break.

A third goal arrived midway through the second half, thanks to Diggins, before East London netted a late consolation on the break.

A solid defensive display by Blair Murphy, Jack Martin, Jon Harris and Daniel Jones helped Havering thirds hold Witham fourths at bay.

Midfield duo Richard Cast and Mike Hosier orchestrated the attacking play, with Luke Clarke seeing an effort go over the crossbar.

But despite the late arrival of Matthew Kennedy and Amar Mangat, the game petered out into a 0-0 draw.

Most Read

Latest from the Romford Recorder