Hockey: Havering men miss out

PUBLISHED: 10:30 17 November 2017

Havering players carry out repairs on a goal net (pic George Phillipou/TGS Photo)

Havering players carry out repairs on a goal net (pic George Phillipou/TGS Photo)

©TGS Photo +44 1376 553468

Havering’s men were left frustrated after a 1-0 home loss to East Premier B strugglers Bourne Deeping.

Good work by Harry Andrews almost led to an early goal for Alex Lee, while numerous short corners were kept out.

Jack Barlow and returning captain Harry Jenkins combined to snuff out a dangerous Bourne attack at the other end, before Paul Dover and Paul Johnson combined on the right and Liam Appleyard picked out Lee, whose effort was cleared off the line.

The game remained on a knife edge during the second half, with Havering forcing more corners but then seeing Stuart Garnell and Verinder Channa receive green and yellow cards.

Bourne went close while the hosts were down to nine men, but Lee Bennett produced a good save at a corner corner to keep the scoreline blank.

Once back to full strength, Havering saw Lee tee up Alex Defroand, whose shot from the top of the D thudded into the keeper’s pads.

The deadlock was finally broken around the hour mark as the visitors broke away from another poor Havering corner routine and made no mistake with the finish.

There was an argument for the game to have been 
stopped as Lewis Smith had suffered a head injury as the Bourne forward ran through, but Havering appeals fell on deaf ears and they wasted 
two more short corners late on.

Havering head to Wisbech Town this weekend.

The seconds slumped to a 5-0 loss against a well-drilled Braintree side, after James Diggins hit a post with a powerful short corner strike.

The visitors netted from a good corner routine of their own and went 2-0 up just before the break with a far post tap in.

Three more goals piled on the pain for Havering, with Adam Willett missing a good chance for a consolation late on.

The thirds enjoyed a 3-0 win over Saffron Walden fifths, after a goalless first half.

Both sides had a blend of youth and experience and Amar Mangat’s fine run and pass found Luke Clarke in the D to slot home and put Havering ahead.

Noel Thoufick scrambled home a second for the home side and the points were sealed when Bill Birbeck fired in a shot from the top of the D.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Romford Recorder. Click the link in the orange box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Romford Recorder