Havering women hit back for deserved share of spoils in pair of exciting derby battles

PUBLISHED: 12:00 16 March 2018

Action from the derby between Upminster 3rd XI and Havering 2nd XI at Coopers (pic George Phillipou/TGS Photo)

Action from the derby between Upminster 3rd XI and Havering 2nd XI at Coopers (pic George Phillipou/TGS Photo)

©TGS Photo +44 1376 553468

Havering’s women hit back for a share of the spoils in their East Two South East derby with Brentwood at Campion.

Keeper Sophie McCoy was called into early action, making several saves, before the visitors took the lead from a short corner.

Havering rallied and levelled with a corner of their own as Sue Harwood pounced on a rebound when Emily Gilkes-Tarsey’s shot was blocked.

But they could not capitalise and kept making simple errors that proved costly, as Brentwood scored twice more before half time for a 3-1 lead.

The home side began the second half with a much better attitude and began to put passes together, as Harwood and Hollie Dawkins found room on the wings from midfield and Gilkes-Tarsey and Emily Martin were able to make space in the forward line.

Harwood’s quick free hit found Martin on the wing and her cross was deflected in by Gilkes-Tarsey to cut the gap to one, as defenders Charlotte Chamberlin, Wendy Schofield, Sam Cash and Nic Earle contained the Brentwood forwards.

Katie Griggs took control in the centre of the pitch and her pass found Freya Rossington-Trottman in the circle, where a poor tackle on her brought a penalty corner.

Emma Isherwood’s shot was initially saved but after a bit of a scramble, Gilkes-Tarsey crossed the ball and Tess Meehan tapped it over the line to equalise.

Havering then lost Schofield to a nasty injury, after being hit in the mouth with a stick, but Dawkins covered well at the back in her absence.

And although Brentwood had a flurry of attacks late on Havering held on, ahead of a trip to Sevenoaks thirds on Saturday.

The seconds shared six goals in their derby match with Upminster thirds at Coopers.

Laura Cheddad found the back of the net to put them ahead, but Upminster drew level and then took the lead on the stroke of half time from a penalty corner.

The home side netted again in the early part of the second half to go 3-1 up, but just like the first team, Havering seconds fought hard to get some reward.

Gemma Mckenzie-Cardy got their second goal and Havering’s determination paid off when Cheddad scored again to secure a 3-3 draw.

The men’s thirds went down 8-0 against already-promoted East London sevenths, despite the valiant efforts of Dan Jones, who saved a penalty flick during the first half.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Romford Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Romford Recorder