Havering men left empty-handed by leaders

PUBLISHED: 11:00 23 February 2017

Havering's Paul Johnson (right) tries to close down a rival (pic Gavin Ellis/TGS Photo)

Havering's Paul Johnson (right) tries to close down a rival (pic Gavin Ellis/TGS Photo)

©TGS Photo +44 1376 553468

Havering 1 Peterborough II 2

Havering were left with nothing to show for their efforts against East Premier B leaders Peterborough seconds.

Buoyed by their win at Felixstowe, they began well and took the lead after a turnover in midfield saw the ball quickly transferred into the D for Callum Hill to fire home a thunderous strike.

A series of good saves from Lee Bennett and both posts kept out numerous Peterborough short corners before the interval, but the leaders continued to press after the restart and levelled after a defensive mistake.

And the visitors took the lead five minutes later, entering the D once again and beating Bennett with a well-taken shot.

Havering rallied to try and salvage something from the game, but title-chasing Peterborough were in no mood to let their advantage slip and made off with the points.

There was better news for the seconds, who ran out 3-1 winners over Braintree.

Adam Willett went close inside the first few minutes, but was denied by the keeper before Mike Caruana-Smith converted from a tight angle.

Willett doubled the lead and Zak Nerukar claimed his first goal at this level to make it 3-0, before Braintree hit back from a short corner.

Roger Hiett missed a penalty after the restart, while Greg Mawdsley also failed to finish off a fine chance as the scoreline remained unchanged.

The thirds were edged out at Maldon seconds, despite some fine saves from Graham Walker, as one second-half goal proved enough for the hosts.

n Havering’s women battled to a fine East Two South East point at second-placed Burnt Ash thanks to a 1-1 draw.

Katie Griggs saw a speculative reverse-stick shot fly under the keeper to open the scoring and the defensive unit of Steph Prowse, Charlotte Chamberlin, Louise Burgess and debutant Sam Cash kept the hosts at bay.

Sophie McCoy produced some vital saves too, as Burnt Ash received two green cards, and Alex Semon and Emma Isherwood went close with deflections.

A short corner led to an equaliser in the second half, but Semon and Emily Gilkes-Tarsey went close to restoring Havering’s lead, as Sue Harwood, Vicky Morrison and Bethan Isherwood worked tirelessly in midfield.

Havering were reduced to nine players late on after Prowse and Semon were shown yellow cards but held on well for a share of the spoils.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Romford Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Romford Recorder