Havering Hawks ready to take flight
- Credit: Archant
Inline hockey club prepare for season opener
Havering’s inline hockey team, the Hawks, will be making their debut next Sunday (February 8) with an exhibition game against the four-time and reigning National champions Borehamwood Crusaders at Hornchurch Sports Centre.
The team, under the new guise of Hawks following their most successful season in decades as the Liberators last year, are hoping to build on their ninth-placed finish at the National Championships coach and Anthony Laird is optimistic about the new season.
“The best way to see how good you are is to play against the best team in the country! It will be a good game and a good advert for the sport,” said Laird.
“I know the Crusaders well, having played for them for eight years and my brother and some of my close friends play for them.
You may also want to watch:
“But they won’t take it easy on us and we have to show we are up for the game, as well as the rest of the season.
We’ve built on last year’s team by signing some more defenders, which is where we struggled last year. Adding to that some new younger signings, who our coach had in his Great Britain under-19 squad last year – I think we may surprise some people this year!”
- 1 Infection rates are now falling in Havering - is lockdown working?
- 2 70% of Havering residents voted to leave the EU
- 3 Havering parks and gardens five feet under water as rivers burst their banks
- 4 Doctors and nurses 'exhausted' as hospitals reach breaking point
- 5 Fines issued to Romford and Upminster restaurants flouting coronavirus restrictions
- 6 More than 100 Covid dead at Queen's and King George this week
- 7 Drug and alcohol abuse by Havering parents and children soars
- 8 Man killed in collision on A13 near Rainham
- 9 Schools say lack of funding means they can't carry out mass Covid testing
- 10 Sonic boom heard across east London, Essex and Cambridge
The team are hoping to attract local support and interest in the coming season, starting with the game on February 8 at Hornchurch Sports Centre. Doors open at 4pm and is free entry for all.
Hawks are sponsored by Hambro Roofing Ltd, GW Commercial, U-Trade Windows & Doors and Everyone Active and can be followed on Twitter @HaveringHawks.