Hammer gets call-up
Ljung into GP series; Cook ‘promoted’ at BSPA
Lakeside Hammers star Peter Ljung has accepted a call-up to the 2012 Grand Prix series.
But that means the Swedish rider will not now compete in Britain next year, ruling out a return to Purfleet.
Ljung, 29, gets his chance at GP level after Piotr Protasiewicz and Darcy Ward declined their invitations to compete, with organisers to name Ward’s replacement at a later date.
Ljung said: “It’s pretty overwhelming at the moment. In a way, although this opportunity was handed to me, I think it was just my turn to have a bit of luck for once.
You may also want to watch:
“I’m looking forward to all of them. I’ve been to Copenhagen quite a few times to watch the GP and the atmosphere is fantastic. I’ve always thought ‘I want to do that meeting’ and the same with Cardiff.”
Hammers co-promoter Jon Cook added: “Peter has achieved his GP ambition and quite rightly, in my opinion, he wants to plan around it.
- 1 Teen hospitalised after being stabbed in Upminster
- 2 Woman, 52, dies in Collier Row in 'unexplained' circumstances
- 3 Boy, 15, was in 'life-threatening' condition after Upminster stabbing
- 4 Woman dies after falling from 'substantial height' in Romford
- 5 East London's 10 prettiest streets to visit
- 6 Romford school prepped for another 100 years as major renovation works end
- 7 Broken bus stop in Upminster to be repaired within 'few weeks'
- 8 Public detain male in street after alleged bid to rob Rainham shop
- 9 Royal Mail apologises for Covid-related delays as pensioner reports no deliveries 'for weeks'
- 10 Hospital's failure to identify neck injury 'contributed' to courier's death, inquest finds
“We had been talking at length pre-AGM and he would’ve been a rider we would’ve liked to include, but that will have to wait for future seasons.
“He was very genuine in his positive feelings to all at the club and his wish is to return at some time in the future. But in the meantime I am sure everyone at the Hammers will join me in wishing him good luck in his efforts this coming season.”