Gilkes-Tarsey goals give Havering win

PUBLISHED: 09:00 24 March 2017

A Havering player puts pressure on a rival (pic Gavin Ellis/TGS Photo)

A Havering player puts pressure on a rival (pic Gavin Ellis/TGS Photo)

©TGS Photo +44 1376 553468

Havering 2 Ashford 1

Emily Gilkes-Tarsey struck twice to earn Havering’s women a first-ever win over Ashford in East Two South East.

Havering started well and kept their form throughout, putting pressure on the rivals as Blaise Copeland caused problems with strong attacking runs.

Bethan Isherwood and Sue Harwood created lots of attack from the back, running down the wings, as Steph Prowse and Charlotte Chamberlin proved solid in defence.

An early short corner went wide, as Alex Semon’s cross evading Gilkes-Tarsey’s stick, but Havering continued to attack and Copeland forced a fantastic full stretch save from the keeper with her lifted shot.

Emily Martin saw a shot go just wide, before Lauren Earle produced a great run on the left and picked out Gilkes-Tarsey, who made no mistake.

Isherwood and Chamberlin kept driving Havering forward, as Earle, Catherine Semon, Martin and Copeland dominated midfield, and Harwood was unlucky not to score, dribbling into the D and forcing a save.

The second half continued in similar vein to the first, with Emma Isherwood unlucky not to add to the scoreline when her strike from a rebound flew just wide of the top corner.

Martin forced further saves as Havering kept the pressure on and a second goal arrived from a long corner as Catherine Semon received the ball at the top of the D and rolled a pass to Katie Griggs, whose shot was saved and fell for Gilkes-Tarsey to score.

Earle and Copeland constantly drove through from midfield, as Bethan Isherwood and Harwood did from the back, and Isherwood saw a reverse stick shot fly just wide of the top corner.

Alex Semon and Griggs saw shots saved, but Ashford pulled a goal back when Sophie McCoy was deceived by the pace of the shot, having made some great saves earlier on.

Havering kept their cool, though, to seal the points and visit Redbridge this weekend.

The men claimed a vital 2-1 win at East Premier B rivals Waltham Forest and earned a point from a goalless draw with Ipswich ES a day later ahead of their last game of the season against Old Southendian.

But the seconds slipped to a 5-3 loss at Witham after a poor start saw them concede four times in the first 20 minutes.

Adam Willet hit back just before half time and Billy Wilson added a second goal soon after the restart, but Witham pounced on some poor defending to add a fifth to make Ryan Adcock’s late goal academic.

There was better news for the thirds, who romped to an 8-0 win over Old Southendian fourths.

The pace of Jonni Ishikawa, Liam Keeling and Andy Meehan, kept the visitors on the back foot and Roger Hiett converted a short corner to open the scoring.

Keeling and Ishikawa added further goals before half time and Hiett made it 4-0 after the restart, before John Wigham, Luke Clarke (2) and Hiett completed the tally.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Romford Recorder. Click the link in the orange box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Romford Recorder