Gidea Park LTC endure tough start to season
- Credit: Gidea Park LTC
Gidea Park Lawn Tennis Club's men have endured a tough start to the National League season.
In the first match against Raynes Park DL (Surrey), who included former national champions, Park lost 5-1 to a very strong side.
Head coach Tom Higgins did battle through a three-hour match to win Park's only rubber, 7-6 in the third set against Harry Meehan, a world ranked player.
The following weekend saw Park travel to play Thorpe Bay LTC in a local derby.
Both teams consisted of Essex county squad players but Park won 4-2.
You may also want to watch:
More recently they lost 5-4 to Sutton, who are currently number one in the Premier Division, after a deciding doubles shootout.
Captain Tom Higgins was very proud of his team, for producing some great individual performances in close battles.
- 1 Harold Wood fatal stabbing victim named as police arrest three more people
- 2 Serial child sex offender jailed after found with 14,000 indecent images
- 3 Family of Harvey Tyrrell campaigning for stricter pub safety laws
- 4 Man and two boys charged with murder of Daniel Laskos in Harold Wood
- 5 'No one deserves that': Neighbours 'traumatised' by triple stabbing
- 6 Memorial bench at hospital honours 'well-loved' medic
- 7 Man jailed for drug offences and violent assaults in Romford flat
- 8 Petition launched by family of Harvey Tyrrell soars to 40,000 signatures
- 9 Arrests made after multiple stabbing in Havering
- 10 Man's suicide method thoughts were not in clinical notes, inquest hears
It ended 2-2 after singles, 3-3 after doubles and 4-4 after shootout singles, before Park finally lost the deciding doubles shootout.
Higgins said: "It was a tough one, as we were one point away from winning the entire match."