Frankie fires Raiders to victory

PUBLISHED: 12:25 17 January 2011

Frankie Harvey celebrates

Frankie Harvey celebrates


Romford Raiders 9 Invicta Dynamos 6

Frankie Harvey’s third period hat-trick helped Raiders come out on top in an absorbing English National League contest.

The match was delicately poised at 5-5 after 40 minutes play, after Romford rallied from 4-2 down with three unanswered goals.

But Harvey struck twice in the space of four minutes – while Raiders captain Anthony Leone saw a penalty shot saved by Andy Moffat – to give the hosts some breathing space.

And, after Andy Smith’s reply lifted Invicta spirits with 2:32 to play, Harvey completed his treble on the very next shift.

Billy Phillips rounded off the scoring with 22 seconds on the clock, capping a fine individual display in his first competitive outing after returning from Slough as Raiders gave their title hopes a huge lift.

A decent-sized Rom Valley Way crowd had seen Dynamos take an early lead through Dan Fudger, but Tyrone Miller replied with a slapshot less than a minute later to tie it up.

AJ Smith reacted quickest when Moffat spilled a Julian Smith wristshot to poke Raiders ahead, but Andy Smith levelled 30 seconds later with a controversial effort.

Most home fans were convinced the puck had bounced back off the crossbar, but referee Yurij Solosjovs was well positioned and signalled a legitimate goal.

Liam Chong’s shorthanded effort late in the period put Invicta ahead again and Tim Smith made it 4-2 within a minute of the restart.

But JJ McGrath lifted Raiders with a stunning top-corner finish and Juraj Huska cut in from the left to square matters.

Huska turned provider to set up an unmarked Danny Marshall at the far post, but Dynamos drew level with a powerplay goal from Callum Fowler at 38:01.

There were chances at both ends in the early part of the final period, but Raiders regained the advantage when Harvey found space to convert at the far post with a first-time shot.

And the youngster then collected a pass from Jason Buckman on the right, before beating Ryan Giles and flicking a backhand shot inside the far post.

Michael Gray denied Fowler with a superb pad save, but Andy Smith got two bites of the cherry to suggest one final twist in the tale.

Raiders called a timeout and, 12 seconds after the restart, Huska’s pass was fumbled by Zach Sullivan, allowing Harvey to skate in and fire into the roof of the net and make it 8-6.

Phillips added the icing on the cake when pouncing on a loose puck in the neutral zone and swapping passes with Marshall, before firing past Moffat as Raiders extended their unbeaten run to seven games.

Raiders: Harvey 3+1 Huska 1+5 Marshall 1+3 Phillips 1+1 Miller 1 McGrath 1 A Smith 1 Davis 0+1 Oliver 0+1 Buckman 0+1.

Dynamos: A Smith 2 Fowler 1+2 Chong 1+1 Fudger 1 T Smith 1 Timms 0+1 Borges 0+1.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Romford Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Romford Recorder