Former Leopards trio line up for GB
- Credit: Archant
Surprise debut for Gilchrist
Former Leopard Robert Gilchrist scored 12 points and pulled down four rebounds on his Great Britain debut but he couldn’t prevent New Zealand leaving the Copper Box with an 84-63 victory.
Gilchrist was a surprise starter for a youthful GB team, but although he seized the opportunity, he admitted that he was disappointed with the final scoreline.
“It was great to play and we did well in the first half,” he said. “But we need more consistency and that’s something we need to work on before we go to Holland.”
Gilchrist played for the Big Cats in the 2007/8 season as a 17-year-old before going to Florida State Universty and was one of three former Leopards on show in front on near-capacity crowd at the Copper Box Arena.
You may also want to watch:
Dan Clark has certainly come on leaps and bounds since being waterboy for the BBL champion Leopards in 1998 as well as playing in Division One at the age of 13 for Ware Rebels, who went on to merge with Leopards in 2004.
At the age of 26 Clark is now an established international having played for Britain at three EuroBasket final tournaments as well as the 2012 Olympics.
- 1 Shoppers and traders enjoy Romford market and high street in the sunshine
- 2 Man and woman assaulted at Upminster Station
- 3 Harold Wood residents delighted as deer graze outside their windows
- 4 Romford swimmer calls for volunteers to take plunge for hospice
- 5 'I'm appalled at no-show bookings as pubs reopen'
- 6 Romford new age shop to reopen again after closure years ago
- 7 Covid hospital admissions and deaths in stark decline, NHS trust data shows
- 8 Upminster student completes 4x4x48 Challenge for Saint Francis Hospice
- 9 Mayoral election 2021: how will candidates improve east London?
- 10 Council cannot 'justify' stronger bollards after fifth crash in 18 months
But he had a difficult game on Saturday, finishing with eight points and three rebounds.
The trio was completed by seven footer Zak Wells, who was part of the 2012 treble-winning Big Cats squad and has been part of the GB under-20 squad in the past. Wells now plays for BBL side Leeds Force and saw only limited action, coming into the game late in the fourth period, but he did get on the scoresheet with his only shot.