Search

We will miss Smith says Romford boss Martin

PUBLISHED: 17:00 20 July 2012

Romford manager Paul Martin (Gavin Ellis/TGS)

Romford manager Paul Martin (Gavin Ellis/TGS)

Gavin Ellis/TGSPHOTO c/o 27 Plaiters Way, Braintree, Essex, CM7 3LR - Editorial Use ONLY - FA Premier League and Football League

Boro coming to terms with loss of top scorer

Romford boss Paul Martin is coming to terms with the loss of striker Kurt Smith ahead of the new Ryman Division One North season.

Boro’s top scorer last season with 20 goals from only 25 starts, despite suffering a broken fibia, Smith has left for a fresh challenge.

Martin said: “Kurt has left us to go to East Thurrock and it is always going to hurt you when you lose your top goalscorer.

“The boy has got the ability to play higher and you can’t get in his way. If it doesn’t work out hopefully we’ll be able to get him back.

“The only other one to go is Jamie Dicks and that is to Thurrock and that shows that our system is working with the youth and they can push on and go further.”

Boro have welcomed Toran Senghore back as a replacement for Smith and Martin is hoping to finalise his squad in the coming weeks.

He added: “Toran was out all last year with a knee ligament injury and probably needs to shed a few pounds as he hasn’t been playing for a year.

“It could take a little while for him to get back going properly again and if that’s the case another forward may come in.

“I’m just waiting for a few boys to come off holiday to confirm the side up and over the next couple of weeks teams we’ll be getting rid of a few players and hopefully we can profit from that as well.”

After their pre-season friendly at Lowestoft fell victim to a waterlogged pitch on Saturday, Boro also saw an attempt to play Barking at Ford’s Newbury Park ground washed out.

They managed a behind-closed-doors match with Chelmsford on Tuesday and are due to host Met Police tomorrow (Saturday), before visiting Barking on Tuesday.

Martin added: “It is one of those frustrating things, but it’s something outside of our control.

“We were able to get a run out against a very strong Chelmsford side and got a lot of positives out of it.

“I only took four or five subs for the game to ensure everybody got some time and Chelmsford played two separate sides.

“We held our own, but fitness told in the end. I was pleased with the performance and it is another workout and opportunity for everyone.”

Matt Toms gave Boro the lead, but Chelmsford hit back with a brace before the break and sealed a 3-1 win in the second half.

Romford open their league campaign against rivals Redbridge, who are now managed by former Boro striker Steve Portway, and Martin said: “It doesn’t matter who we start against as they are all going to be tough.

“You cannot judge a side on their form last season, if you do you could end up getting shot in the foot and losing the first few.

“You’ll be able to work sides out by Christmas and then go from there.”

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad. Coronavirus is one of the greatest challenges our community has ever faced, but if we all play our part we will defeat it. We're here to serve as your advocate and trusted source of local information.

In these testing times, your support is more important than ever. Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Romford Recorder