Two-goal Tuohy lifts Hornchurch

PUBLISHED: 09:57 26 March 2017 | UPDATED: 15:37 30 March 2017

Martin Tuohy celebrates one of his goals for Hornchurch (pic George Phillipou/TGS Photo)

Martin Tuohy celebrates one of his goals for Hornchurch (pic George Phillipou/TGS Photo)

©TGS Photo +44 1376 553468

Hornchurch 2 Norwich United 0

Martin Tuohy struck twice to help promotion-chasing Hornchurch bounce back from their disappointing draw with bottom club Wroxham a week earlier and claim three Ryman North points.

Hornchurch went into the match with a respectable run of form after five wins from their last seven league games and sitting in third place.

Visitors Norwich United, meanwhile, lay in eighth place with five wins from their last seven league games, but in a somewhat scrappy and fragmented first half, chances were few and far between for the most part.

The Planters sought to get their feet firmly rooted and made the first meaningful attack in the fifth minute when Adam Hipperson’s low, driven shot was well stopped by Horchurch Keeper Sam Mott.

Two minutes later, a marauding and powerful run from Norwich’s Cassimiro Datocampol was haulted by a foul and the visitors were awarded a free-kick in a good position on the edge of the 18-yard box. But Hipperson’s resultant strike was hit straight into the Hornchurch wall.

The Urchins suffered a loss in the 18th minute when injured winger Abs Thompson had to hobble off the pitch and make way for subsitute Usman Adeniji.

But the pacey Adeniji made a positive impact for the home side and his first contribution was fairly swift.

In the 23rd minute, after a good run down the right, Adeniji’s cut back across the box fell to Tuohy, but he failed to get the ball under control and the chance for a shot quickly evaporated.

Both sides continued to appear wasteful and incoherent in possession as the half grew on.

And of the two teams, The Planters had the lion’s share of possession in the first half and better opportunities to take the lead.

On 27 minutes, Jamie Speller played a neat pass down the left to Chris Finch and his angled drive in the area skimmed the side netting.

Although Hornchurch were stuttering through the match thus far, they began to find some rhythm in attack which led to a chance in 29th minute. Defender Jed Chouman cut the ball back from the right and found Tuohy in the box, but the front man could only shoot straight at Wilton and after a good stop, the Norwich keeper scrambled to gather with Tuohy closing in for another bite of the cherry.

The hosts continued to grow in confidence and after a hitting the visitors on the break on 32 minutes, a Tuohy cross was met by Alex Bentley who blazed high and not handsomely over the crossbar.

Ten minutes later Hornchurch strike duo Ross Wall and Tuohy linked up well to fashion a good scoring opportunity.

After a delicately lofted pass over the Norwich defence from Wall, the ball fell into the path of Tuohy who was thwarted once again by Wilton as his low shot was straight into the body of the Norwich stopper who got down well to gather.

In stoppage time Norwich won a corner and Datocompol rose highest to power a header just over the bar.

If the first half belonged to The Planters, the second belonged to the Urchins and a minute after the restart, Tuohy again found himself through on goal after a good pass from midfield, but his tame shot was again saved by Wilton.

This seemed to be turning into something a mini-duel between the two, with the Norwich keeper coming out on top to that point.

Norwich carved a good chance in the 52nd minute as Tim Henery’s cross was headed on by Sam Watts and fell to the skillful Hipperson who sent a sweetly struck volley over the bar.

The deadlock was finally broken in the 57th minute, though, as Tuohy finally seized his moment.

After a good run down the right flank, Adeniji whipped in a cross and Tuohy rose to head the ball goalwards at the near post.

Wilton, got a hand on the effort but was unable to keep the ball out and Tuohy had his goal.

Tuohy’s shackles were losse and the forward found the net again in the 64th minute after his half-volley took a big deflection and crept beyond the despairing dive of Wilton.

Norwich made a subitution and brought on Liam Jackson for Datocompol on 66 minutes, with Hornchurch captain Elliot Styles booked four minutes later after a reckless tackle from behind on Hipperson.

On 75 minutes, Wall found himself in space after a good delivery into the box but with virtually a free header, he looped his effort over the bar.

As the match drew to a close, there was time for one final attack from the hosts and after a good burst of pace and a penetrating run from Adeniji, the winger slid a good through pass into Abs Seymour leaving him one on one with Wilton.

But after attempting to round the keeper Seymour’s angled shot was well stopped.

It was all three points bagged for the Urchins and with a clash against table toppers Brightlingsea Regent next on the cards, this result will be a massive confidence booster and ensure play-off hopes are kept alive.

Hornchurch: Mott, Bentley, Nesbitt, Lee, Easterford, Chouman, Thompson (Adeniji 17), Styles Tuohy, Wall (Purcell 90), Seymour. Unused subs: Joseph, Hussain, Hursit.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Romford Recorder. Click the link in the yellow box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Romford Recorder