Romford suffer yet another blow against Bowers & Pitsea

PUBLISHED: 09:00 14 March 2018

Romford manager Paul Martin (Pic: Gavin Ellis/TGS Photo)

Romford manager Paul Martin (Pic: Gavin Ellis/TGS Photo)

©TGS Photo +44 1376 553468

Bostik North: Bowers & Pitsea 4 Romford 0

Romford continue to fall behind in the race for survival as they suffered a heavy 4-0 defeat to promotion hopefuls Bowers & Pitsea.

A hat-trick from Lewis Manor and another from former Boro midfielder Jamie Dicks sealed the three points and helped them close the gap on leaders Hornchurch at the Len Salmon Stadium.

Manager Paul Martin made five changes to the starting line-up from their 4-1 defeat to Hertford Town. Tom Potter, Sam Mvemba, Kai Heather, Greg Akpele and Nick Reynolds were all named in the starting eleven.

Mario Gjini, Craig Jeakins and Chiduben Onokwai drop to the bench while Adam McGeorge and Connor Hammond miss out.

The hosts piled the pressure on in the early stages and Romford defender Tom Potter was forced to make a great last ditch tackle to stop Fahad Nyanja as he cut in from the right and looked to shoot in the seventh minute.

The visitors worked hard to try put some of their own pressure back on Rob Small’s men but failed to create anything in the final third.

In the 19th minute a Bowers & Pitsea corner was blocked and fell to midfielder Ben Sartain on the edge of the box who drilled a shot towards the bottom right but it hit the post.

Four minutes later Sartain went close again as he volleyed a shot just wide of the opposite post.

Bowers broke the deadlock in the 24th minute when Lewis Manor smashed the ball into the back of the net after Boro failed to clear the first attempt from Nyanja.

Former Boro man Jamie Dicks double their lead in the 29th minute when he fired a shot past Rob Budd after Nyanja cushioned the ball down with his head for his team-mate.

Romford’s Greg Akpele cut in from the right and fired well over the bar in the 38th minute as the visitors looked to claw one back.

The hosts started where they left off in the second-half and striker David Knight almost made it 3-0 but hit the bar with his header after being picked up with a long throw from Billy Sendall in the 47th minute.

Twenty minutes later the hosts made it 3-0 when Manor slotted home his second of the evening after some sloppy defending from Romford as Knight stole the ball off Ayodeji Olukoga and fed the ball across to his striker partner.

In the 72th minute Manor sealed his hat-trick and gave his side a 4-0 lead as he headed across the goal past Budd and into the bottom corner.

Captain Martyn Stokes headed just over the net after being picked out by Dicks with a cross in the 80th minute.

Romford received a final blow in the dying seconds when centre-back Andrew Tiranhu collided with team-mate Kai Heather and had receive treatment from paramedics forcing the whistle to be blown a few seconds early.

Bowers & Pitsea: Chafer, Boswell, Thomas, Stokes, Sendall (Pinto 60), Leahy, Dicks, Sartain, Knight (Cobblah 77), Manor (Barnwell 72), Nyanja.

Unused subs: Salmon and Hughes.

Romford: Budd, Olukoga (Clarke 78), Cossington, Tiranhu, Potter (Daly 60), Mvemba, Heather, Nzengo, Taylor, Akpele, Reynolds (Jeakins 78)

Unused subs: Onokwai and Gjini.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Romford Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Romford Recorder