Romford still waiting to hear on ground
PUBLISHED: 17:00 03 July 2015
Gavin Ellis/TGSPHOTO c/o 27 Plaiters Way, Braintree, Essex, CM7 3LR - Editorial Use ONLY - FA Premier League and Football League images are subject to DataCo Licencing restrictions
Chairman Steve Gardner says decision is taking longer than expected
Romford chairman Steve Gardner says there has been no movement in the club’s quest for a new home.
Gardner revealed the news, or rather lack of, ahead of the club’s AGM meeting, which takes place July 7 at Mawney School starting at 7.45pm.
Boro currently groundshare with Thurrock at Ship Lane but have been craving their own ground for a number of years.
The club have submitted the paperwork to the relevant bodies but Gardner admits he has not heard much since.
“We’re still waiting on a decision from the council and the secretary of state,” he said.
“The secretary of state said they would get back to us within a certain number of weeks and it took them until the last week to do so. They’ve asked some questions that are more to do with the council than us.
“At the minute it’s taking a bit longer than we would have hoped. If there was a league table for patience, we would be top!”
The issue of Romford owning their own ground has long been a point of contention for manager Paul Martin, who has previously stated he would leave if he thought it would not happen.
But Martin has now agreed to stay in charge of the club for another season and Gardner hopes they will be able to reward his loyalty with what he wants, adding: “Every manager will tell you you need ambition to sign players and the best way to show that is with a shiny new ground.
“You need it to make money for the club and also to make the club accessible to fans and to grown a fanbase. At the minute we play about 10 miles away from Romford.
“We’ve persuaded Paul to stay on for another year because we think there will be some movement on the ground this year. No one wants to leave a club when work on a stadium will start soon after.”
Martin’s boys are back in pre-season training ahead of the new campaign, looking to avoid the threat of relegation that plagued them last season.
The club has seen the likes of captain Jack Barry, Abs Seymour and Loui Hazelwood but Gardner is confident the Boro boss can do well this year.
“We’re disappointed we’ve lost some good players but we’re confident Paul can gind some gems again.
“Hopefully we’ll have a good start to the season and have a good run in one of the cups, which would give us some money and a boost to our profile.”
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Romford Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.