Romford’s win is Taylor made

PUBLISHED: 21:49 11 February 2017 | UPDATED: 12:05 12 February 2017

Chris Taylor celebrates scoring Romford's winner against Witham (pic George Phillipou/TGS Photo)

Chris Taylor celebrates scoring Romford's winner against Witham (pic George Phillipou/TGS Photo)

©TGS Photo +44 1376 553468

Romford 2 Witham Town 1

Chris Taylor’s brace earned Romford all three Ryman North points against Witham Town at Ship Lane.

Striker Taylor netted late in each half, either side of a goal from Boro old boy Lewis Payne, to ensure Paul Martin’s men bounced back from their derby defeat at Hornchurch a week earlier.

And victory saw them move 11 points clear of the bottom three, with a long trip to Norwich United up next.

Taylor was called into the starting line-up shortly before kick-off after Nick Reynolds picked up an injury during the warm-up, while Martin also included debutants Charlie Parish and Abdul Abdeen and handed Ryan Boswell the captain’s armband on his 21st birthday, as he equalled the club record for successive appearances with his 66th competitive outing in a row.

And Boro began well, with leading scorer Chinedu McKenzie having an early effort blocked by visiting keeper Reece Payne.

McKenzie sent an acrobatic scissor-kick against the inside of a post before it was cleared off the line, while Taylor had a shot deflected wide.

Akwasi Marfo’s free-kick was saved and Jonathan Adebayo flashed a long-range effort just wide, before the visitors were awarded a penalty against the run of play when Tim Monsheju burst into the box and collided with Parish, who was adjudged to have fouled the striker.

The home side felt aggrieved by the decision, but Callum Chafer dived to his left to tip Monsheju’s spot-kick over the crossbar and the scoreline remained blank until three minutes before the break when Marfo’s low cross from the left reached Charlie Grimme Yexley and his drive was turned home by Taylor.

Witham began the second half well and Payne forced Chafer into a save, before the visitors drew level on 56 minutes.

A long ball to the edge of the box was punched clear by Chafer, but fell to Payne and he sent a hopeful lob back over the keeper’s head and into the net.

Boro had a chance to regain the lead six minutes later when Ryan Mallett chipped a ball over Witham’s defence for McKenzie to chase, but he lifted his effort over the keeper and crossbar.

McKenzie had another shot tipped behind and flicked a header past the post, before Chafer made a good low save after a poor backpass.

But Boro regained the lead when Boswell picked out the lively Abdeen and he beat two men before crossing into the box for Taylor to sweep home his second goal of the game with only seven minutes remaining.

The home side could have added a third late on when Abdeen and McKenzie broke upfield, only for the chance to go to waste, but it made little difference to the outcome and other results went Romford’s way ahead of next weekend’s trip to Norwich United, when they will be looking to take another step towards a top-half finish.

Romford: Chafer, Boswell, Marfo, Parish, Mallett, Adebayo, Bichard, Grimme Yexley, McKenzie, Taylor, Abdeen. Unused subs: Cossington, Wray, Olukoga, Barry, Browne-Sykes.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Romford Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Romford Recorder