Romford net in stoppage time to pick up point against Wroxham

PUBLISHED: 08:32 19 March 2015 | UPDATED: 08:32 19 March 2015

Joe Scott netted an injury time equaliser for Romford against Wroxham (pic: Gavin Ellis/TGSPHOTO)

Joe Scott netted an injury time equaliser for Romford against Wroxham (pic: Gavin Ellis/TGSPHOTO)

Gavin Ellis/TGSPHOTO c/o 27 Plaiters Way, Braintree, Essex, CM7 3LR - Editorial Use ONLY - FA Premier League and Football League

Ryman North: Romford 2 Wroxham 2

Delight for Romford's Nick Reynolds as his side are awarded a first half penalty against Wroxham (pic: Gavin Ellis/TGSPHOTO)Delight for Romford's Nick Reynolds as his side are awarded a first half penalty against Wroxham (pic: Gavin Ellis/TGSPHOTO)

Romford picked up what could be a crucial point in their battle to beat relegation from Ryman North as Joe Scott scored in the third minute of stoppage time to salvage a draw against Wroxham.

Boro were ahead at half time thanks to Loui Hazelwood’s 18th-minute penalty, but Remy Gordan equalised 21 minutes from time.

Loui Hazlewood scores Romford's first goal against Wroxham from the penalty spot (pic: Gavin Ellis/TGSPHOTO)Loui Hazlewood scores Romford's first goal against Wroxham from the penalty spot (pic: Gavin Ellis/TGSPHOTO)

It set up a thrilling finale and the visitors went in front in the first minute of stoppage time, but Scott’s late volley earned Boro an excellent draw.

Paul Martin made three changes from the side that drew 4-4 with Aveley on Saturday as Jamie Byrne, Chris Barry and Robbie Norris returned.

Robbie Norris in action for Romford against Wroxham (pic: Gavin Ellis/TGSPHOTO)Robbie Norris in action for Romford against Wroxham (pic: Gavin Ellis/TGSPHOTO)

Captain Jack Barry, Nathan Cooper and Luke McLeavy were all missing as Boro looked to get revenge on the Yachtsmen following an 8-0 defeat in their previous meeting in October.

It was the visitors who started brightly and Jamie Forshaw had an opportunity after five minutes, but Aaron Omand came out and blocked the effort well.

Chris Barry in action for Romford against Wroxham (pic: Gavin Ellis/TGSPHOTO)Chris Barry in action for Romford against Wroxham (pic: Gavin Ellis/TGSPHOTO)

Nathan Stone headed wide when he was picked out unmarked in the Boro box with 14 minutes gone. However, the hosts were holding their own against the play-off hopefuls.

And with 17 minutes played they were handed an opportunity to take the lead from the penalty spot.

Abs Seymour picked out Callum Ibe with an excellent pass, he cut inside and raced into the box and was brought down by Wroxham keeper Luke Tibbles.

Hazelwood stepped up and fired straight down the middle to put Martin’s team into the lead at Ship Lane.

Wroxham immediately pushed to get back on level terms, but Boro were posing a threat whenever they went forward.

And the hosts should have doubled their advantage midway through the first period when Robbie Norris found Hazelwood in the box.

Boro’s opening scorer started the move by winning a tackle in midfield, before Norris latched onto the loose ball and brought it forward.

Norris then scooped a superb ball over the Wroxham defence, but Hazelwood side-footed wide when he should have at least tested the keeper.

The Ship Lane outfit did have a let-off five minutes before half time, though, as Forshaw twinkle-toed his way into the box and fired across goal.

Stone was at the back post, but the ball came too quickly for him and it bounced off the forward and Romford survived.

Gordan came close to levelling in stoppage time at the end of the first half, but Omand saved and Byrne cleared the danger to ensure it remained 1-0 at the break.

Wroxham started the second period well, but there was a lengthy delay after Romford’s Byrne and Andrew Howell clashed heads in the 50th minute following a corner for the hosts.

Home physio Kate Thwaites treated the Boro defender, who was worryingly on the floor for quite some time, but after a six-minute delay Byrne was up on his feet.

The clash of heads unfortunately forced him off, though, and Jermaine Findlator came on in his place.

Seymour slotted in at centre-back, alongside James Ishmail, and Martin’s team looked to stay focused as they tried to claim a crucial three points.

The visitors did get back level in the 69th minute, though, and in quite lucky circumstances.

A shot from outside the area went across the Romford goal and Gordan, who looked offside, was free at the back post to slide his effort under Omand and equalise.

Martin introduced Dan Jones afterwards for Barry, but the hosts faced a tough last 20 minutes at Ship Lane.

Seymour now moved to left-back, with Nick Reynolds dropping into defence, and it was all of a sudden backs-to-th- wall stuff for Romford.

Wroxham should have gone ahead when Gordan chipped into the box for Danny White, but he headed over the bar.

The pressure continued on the home team and Stone hit the post from close range after David Hinton’s scuffed effort went across goal.

Romford boss Martin was urging his players on and to their credit everyone was throwing themselves at balls coming into the box.

Ibe pulled up with cramp shortly afterwards and Tyrone Scarlett replaced him as Boro attempted to see out the final minutes of normal time.

The change nearly worked wonderfully as with three minutes remaining Scarlett was played through on goal. Boro’s substitute chipped wide from 20-yards-out, though, with just Tibbles to beat.

Due to Byrne’s injury, eight minutes of injury time were added on and in the first of them Wroxham got their second goal.

Chrissy Finch picked the ball up on the right and ghosted past two players before squaring for Stone and this time he found the net.

But Romford responded in some style and in the third minute of injury time they equalised.

The ball was played into the box and Norris controlled and flicked it up for Scott, who volleyed into the corner to level.

Boro weren’t finished there as Hazelwood’s pass found Jones, who ran into the box, but could only fire wide.

Both teams were going for the win and Gordan should have clinched it for Wroxham when he traded passes with Stone and went through one-on-one.

Omand brilliantly dived to his right and palmed the effort away. It was a huge save and one that could be significant come the end of the season.

There was still time for Wroxham to put the ball in the net in the eighth minute of stoppage time as Stone tapped home.

But it was offside and the full time whistle followed to move Romford up to 36 points for the campaign.

Romford: Omand, Kemp, Barry (Jones 70), Ishmail, Byrne (Findlator 56), Norris, Hazelwood, Seymour, Reynolds, Scott, Ibe (Scarlett 86).

Unused substitute: Baffour.

Attendance: 61.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Romford Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Romford Recorder