Romford ground down by Millers

PUBLISHED: 08:39 28 August 2016 | UPDATED: 08:42 28 August 2016

Callum Chafer made his debut in goal for Romford at Aveley (pic: Gavin Ellis/TGS Photo)

Callum Chafer made his debut in goal for Romford at Aveley (pic: Gavin Ellis/TGS Photo)

©TGS Photo +44 1376 553468

Ryman North: Aveley 3 Romford 0

Romford were brought down to earth after their FA Cup success over Hullbridge as their wait for a Ryman North win goes on.

Having drawn with Hornchurch on the opening day of the season and then lost to Waltham Abbey, Boro had beaten Essex Senior League Hullbridge by the odd goal in seven to book a first qualifying round tie at Harlow Town.

And manager Paul Martin brought young keeper Callum Chafer into the Boro starting line-up, after the teenager joined from Hornchurch in midweek.

Boro made a bright start and forced a string of corners in the opening 10 minutes, which the Millers were able to defend.

But Chafer, after keeping a clean sheet for the Urchins in their 1-0 FA Cup win over the hosts, was then beaten on the 15-minute mark as Michael Finneran met Billy Coyne’s corner with a thunderous header to find the back of the net.

The hosts then took hold of the game, with Emmanuel Ighorae making a strong run into the box, before his cross was scrambled clear.

And another Coyne corner reached Ighorae at the far post, but Paul Preston produced a timely block.

Nathaniel Gordon played Coyne through on goal, only to be denied by a good Chafer save and block by Boro captain Jamie Dicks.

Romford’s Chris Taylor was booked for a foul on Jack Edwards, while Aveley’s debutant keeper Lamar Joseph-Johnson, having made a good save to deny Chinedu McKenzie in the first half, was also cautioned for his reaction to the challenge.

And the home side doubled their advantage within seconds of the restart as Ighorae was sent through on goal and produced a calm finish past Chafer to leave Boro with a mountain to climb.

Chafer denied former Boro midfielder Abs Seymour with a save at close range, as Arian Retkoceri headed the rebound over the crossbar.

Retkoceri then sprung the offside trap to send Ighorae racing clear again on 55 minutes, but Chafer came to the rescue and saved bravely at his feet.

Martin made a double change midway through the second half, sending Matthew Mitchell and Will Green on for Danny Cossington and Ryan Mallett, respectively.

And the visitors went close to a reply when Jonathan Adebayo let fly from 25 yards and saw his shot smack the crossbar.

But Millers made sure soon after on 77 minutes when captain Seymour nodded in a cross from Ighorae at close range.

And the hosts went close to a fourth when Olumide Oluwatimilehin fired goalwards from the corner of the box and saw Ryan Boswell scramble clear.

Romford will now look to break their duck for the season when they welcome Ware to Ship Lane on Bank Holiday Monday.

Romford: Chafer, Boswell, Preston, Potter, Toms, Cossington (Mitchell 65), Mallett (Green 65), Dicks, McKenzie, Taylor, Adebayo. Unused subs: N Reynolds, Bankole, S Reynolds.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Romford Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Romford Recorder